Sussex Place, W2

Buildings in this area date from the nineteenth century or before

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.5144 -0.17276, 51.514 -0.172) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Road · Marble Arch · W2 ·
JANUARY
1
2000

Sussex Place is a street in Paddington.

A lot of the street information research on this website is academic in nature - from university research, the Survey of London, British History Online, borough conservation areas and more. Occasionally, the Hive Mind comes up trumps - these derivations come from discoveries on the Wikipedia made during 2019 which is feeding into the project.

If we find any derivations dubious here, we remove them. With that proviso, the TUM project provides them here for your enjoyment...

A-B-C D-E-F G-H-I J-K-L M-N-O P-Q-R S T-U-V W-X-Y-Z

Sackville Street - after Captain Edward Sackville, tenant of a house on the west side of the street in 1675; it was formerly known as Stone Conduit Close [Mayfair]
Saffron Hill – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Saffron Street – these used to be the gardens of the Bishops of Ely, where they grew saffron [Hatton Garden]
Salisbury Court and Salisbury Square – after the London house of the bishops of Salisbury, located here prior to the Reformation [City of London]
Salisbury Place – after the Salisbury brothers (Isaac, John and Thomas), local 18th century builders [Marylebone]
Salisbury StreetBroadley Street near here was formerly Earl Street, and the surrounding streets were given earldom-related names in the early 19th century; this was named for the Earls of Salisbury [Lisson Grove]
Salter’s Hall Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, destroyed in the Blitz [City of London]
Salters Court – after the former hall of the Worshipful Company of Salters, moved in 1600 [City of London]
Sancroft Street – after William Sancroft, 79th Archbishop of Canterbury, by association with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Vauxhall]
Sanctuary Street – as the local mint formerly here claimed the local area as a sanctuary for debtors [Southwark]
Sandell Street – after one Mr Sandell, who owned wharehouses here in the 1860s [Waterloo]
Sandwich Street – after Sandwich in Kent, home county of local 16th century landowner Andrew Judd [Bloomsbury]
Sandy’s Row – after a builder or property owner of this name [City of London]
Sans Walk – after Edward Sans, named in 1893 as he was then oldest member of the local parish vestry [Clerkenwell]
Saracens Head Yard – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sardinia Street – after the embassy of the Kingdom of Sardinia and its associated chapel, formerly located on the site of a nearby demolished street of the same name [Holborn]
Saunders Road Uxbridge Street built near the site of the former RAF Uxbridge, and named after an air marshal in the Second World War. Hugh Saunders was Chief of Staff for the Royal New Zealand Air Force.
Savage Gardens – after Thomas Savage, who owned a house here in the 1620s [City of London]
Savile Row – after Dorothy Savile, Countess of Burlington and Countess of Cork, wife of Richard Boyle, 3rd Earl of Burlington, local landowner [Mayfair]
Savoy Buildings – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Court – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Hill – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Place Westminster Peter II, Count of Savoy Gave his name to the Savoy Palace, which stood on the site of the road
Savoy Row – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Steps – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Street – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Savoy Way – the former site of the Savoy Palace, built for Peter II, Count of Savoy in 1245 [Strand]
Sawyer Street – after Bob Sawyer, a character in the novel The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens, by association with Dickens Square [Southwark]
Scoresby Street – unknown; formerly York Street [Southwark]
Scotland Place – site of a house used by visiting monarchs of Scotland until the 13th century [Westminster]
Scovell Crescent – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Scovell Road – after the Scovells, local business family [Southwark]
Seaford Street – thought to be named for Seaford in Sussex [Bloomsbury]
Seaforth Place – after Seaforth in Scotland, by association with the London Scottish (regiment) formerly bases nearby [Westminster]
Sebastian Street – after Lewis Sebastian, former Master of the Worshipful Company of Skinners and chairman of the governors of Northampton Polytechnic (now City University) [Clerkenwell]
Secker Street - after Thomas Secker, Archbishop of Canterbury 1758-68, by connection with the nearby Lambeth Palace [Waterloo]
Sedding Street – after John Dando Sedding, designer of the nearby Holy Trinity, Sloane Street church [Belgravia]
Sedley Place – named after Angelo Sedley, local 19th century furniture salesman [Mayfair]
Seething Lane – formerly Shyvethenestrat and Sivethenelane, deriving from Old English sifetha, meaning chaff/siftings, after the local corn threshing [City of London]
Sekforde Street – after Thomas Seckford, Elizabethan court official, who left land nearby in his will for the building of an almshouse [Clerkenwell]
Selwyn Avenue Richmond upon Thames William Selwyn Owned, and lived near, the land on which the road was later built; contributed to the founding of nearby church St John the Divine, Richmond.
Semley Place – after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), who owned a property called Semley [Belgravia]
Serjeants Inn – after the former Serjeant's Inn located here before the Blitz [City of London]
Serle Street – after Henry Serle, who built the street in the 1680s [Holborn]
Sermon Lane – thought to be after Adam la Sarmoner, 13th century landowner [City of London]
Serpentine Walk - as it leads to The Serpentine lake in Hyde Park [Belgravia]
Seven Dials and Seven Dials Court – after the seven dials on the sundial column, and the seven adjoining streets; laid out by Thomas Neal in 1693 [Covent Garden]
Seven Dials WC2 - The work of building Seven Dials had begun in 1693, on what was then called Cock-and-pie Fields taken from a nearby inn. Thomas Neale undertook the task of making a great junction, and, in the centre he erected a pillar with seven dials, one for each of the streets at the junction. In 1733 the pillar was taken down as there was believed to be a fortune lodged at the base, but no money was found, and the pillar was transported to Weybridge in Surrey. Good news it was returned to the original spot just a couple of years ago.
Seville Street – unknown; it was formerly Charles Street, after Charles Lowndes of the local landowning Lowndes family [Belgravia]
Seward Street – after Edward Seward, who owned a dyeworks here in the 18th century [Finsbury]
Seymour Gardens Hounslow Nearby streets have a Henry VIII/Elizabeth I connection. Elizabeth spent part of her childhood at Hanworth Manor nearby. The third wife of King Henry VIII.
Seymour Mews, Seymour Place and Seymour Street – after Anne Seymour, mother of Henry William Portman, and through whom he inherited the estate [Marylebone]
Shaftesbury Avenue Westminster Anthony Ashley-Cooper, 7th Earl of Shaftesbury Shaftesbury was an active philanthropist, and as a Member of Parliament he was responsible for several reforming acts designed to alleviate the suffering of the poor. The new Avenue replaced slum housing, and was finished in the year of his death, 1886.
Shafts Court – named after a maypole (or ‘shaft’) that formerly stood nearby at the junction of Leadenhall Street and St Mary Axe [City of London]
Shand Street – after Augustus Shand, member of local Board of Works in the late 19th century; it was formerly College Street, by association with the nearby Magdalen Street [Southwark]
Shaver’s Place – after Simon Osbaldeston, who built a gaming house here in the early 17th century. As Osbaldeston was formerly barber to Lord Chamberlain, local wits coined this name in jest at the ‘shaving’ going on at the games house [Soho]
Sheldon Street Croydon Gilbert Sheldon Archbishop of Canterbury (1663-1677) who lived at Croydon Palace, and is buried in Croydon Minster
Shelton Street – after William Shelton, who provided money for a local charitable school for the poor on nearby Parker Street in his will in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Shepherd Close – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Market W1 - Builder/architect, Edward Shepherd, who had a hand in the building of Grosvenor and Cavendish Squares. He obtained permission to build a cattle market in May Fair in 1738, where every May a large fair was held around the cattle market. The annual fair gave its name to the area of Mayfair.
Shepherd Place – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Shepherd Street – after Edward Shepherd, local builder in the 18th century; Shepherd Place was built by his brother John Shepherd [Mayfair]
Sheraton Street – after Thomas Sheraton, noted furniture maker of the 18th century, who lived nearby [Soho]
Sherborne Lane – earlier Shirebourne Lane, alteration of the Medieval Shitteborelane, in reference to a public privy here [City of London]
Sherlock Mews – after the fictional detective Sherlock Holmes, who lived on Baker Street [Marylebone]
Sherwood Street – corruption of ‘Sherard’; Francis Sherard was a local developer in the late 17th century [Soho]
Shillibeer Place – after George Shillibeer, owner of a local coaching business in the 19th century [Marylebone]
Ship Tavern Passage – after the nearby Ship tavern [City of London]
Shoe Lane – as this lane formerly led to a shoe-shaped landholding/field [City of London]
Short Street – after local early 19th century carpenter Samuel Short [Waterloo]
Shorts Gardens – after the Short family, who owned a house near here in the 17th century; it was formerly Queen Street [Covent Garden]
Shouldham Street – after Molyneux Shuldham, 18th century naval officer [Marylebone]
Shroton Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Shroton, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Sicilian Avenue – this Italianate arch is built from Sicilian marble [Bloomsbury]
Siddons Lane – after 19th century actress Sarah Siddons, who lived nearby at Clarence Gate [Lisson Grove]
Sidmouth Mews – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Sidmouth Street – either for Sidmouth in Devon, then a fashionable resort town or Prime Minister Henry Addington, 1st Viscount Sidmouth [Bloomsbury]
Silk Street – thought to be named for its late 18th century builder, or the silk trade formerly located here [City of London]
Silver Place – unknown, possibly by association with the nearby Golden Square [Soho]
Simon Milton Square – after Simon Milton, late 20th century/early 21st century Conservative politician [Victoria]
Sise Lane – as it formerly led to St Benet Sherehog church, which was dedicated to St Osyth (later corrupted to Sythe, then Sise) [City of London]
Skinner Street – after the Worshipful Company of Skinners, who owned much of the surrounding land when the street was built in the 1810s [Clerkenwell]
Skinners Lane – after the fur trade that was former prevalent here; it was formerly Maiden Lane, after a local inn or shop [City of London]
Slingsby Place – after Sir William Slingsby, who purchased this land in the 17th century [Covent Garden]
Sloane Gardens – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Square Kensington and Chelsea Hans Sloane His heirs owned the land on which the square and nearby Sloane Street are built.
Sloane Street – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Sloane Terrace – after Hans Sloane, local landowner when this area was built up in the 18th century [Belgravia]
Smart’s Place – probably from William Smart, a carpenter who lived near here in the early 18th century [Covent Garden]
Smith Square Westminster Sir James Smith/the Smith Family Owners of the land on which the square was built, c. 1726
Smithfield Street and West Smithfield – derives from the Old English ‘smooth-field’, a series of fields outside the City walls [City of London]
Smokehouse Yard – after the bacon stoves formerly located here [Farringdon]
Snow Hill and Snow Hill Court – formerly Snore Hill or Snowrehill, exact meaning unknown [City of London]
Soho Square – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Soho Street – Soho was in times past open hunting ground, and it thought to have gained its name from the hunting cry of ‘soho!’; the square was formerly King Square, thought to be in honour of Charles II [Soho]
Sopwith Way Kingston upon Thames Thomas Sopwith Aviation pioneer who set up a factory near the east end of the road, where his earliest aircraft were made.
South Audley Street – after Mary Davies, heiress to Hugh Audley, who married Sir Thomas Grosvenor, thereby letting the local land fall into the Grosvenors' ownership [Mayfair]
South Carriage Drive – after the carriage which formerly used this path [Belgravia]
South Eaton Place - after local landowners the Grosvenors (titled Viscounts Belgrave), whose family seat is Eaton Hall, Cheshire [Belgravia]
South Lambeth Place - refers to a harbour where lambs were either shipped from or to. It is formed from the Old English 'lamb' and 'hythe'. [Vauxhall]
South Molton Lane – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Molton Street – unknown; South Molton Lane was formerly Poverty Lane [Mayfair]
South Place and South Place Mews – named as it is south of Moorfields [City of London]
South Square – from its location in the south of Gray's Inn [Holborn]
South Street – after its location as the southern-most street on the Grosvenor estate [Mayfair]
Southampton Buildings – after Southampton House which formerly stood here, built for the bishops of Lincoln in the 12th century and later acquired by the earls of Southampton [City of London]
Southampton Buildings WC1 - Here once stood the house of the 4th Earl of Southampton son of Shakespeare's patron. In 1638 he replaced the house with tenements on the land now known as Southampton Buildings, he moved to a new mansion in Bloomsbury named Southampton House, built where Southampton Place now stands.
Southampton Place – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century [Holborn]
Southampton Row – Southampton House, home of the earls of Southampton, formerly stood here in the 16th century. Particularly after Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner. [Bloomsbury]
Southampton Street – after the earls of Southampton, who owned Southampton House in Bloomsbury in the 16th century; Edward Russell, 3rd Earl of Bedford and local landowner married a daughter and heiress of the Southamptons, and this street was named in her/their honour [Covent Garden]
Southampton Street Camden Thomas Wriothesley, 4th Earl of Southampton Landowner.
Southwark Bridge – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Bridge Road – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Southwark Street – the name Suthriganaweorc or Suthringa geweorche is recorded for the area in the 10th-century Anglo-Saxon document known as the Burghal Hidage and means fort of the men of Surrey or the defensive work of the men of Surrey. Southwark is recorded in the 1086 Domesday Book as Sudweca. The name means southern defensive work and is formed from the Old English suth and weorc. The southern location is in reference to the City of London to the north, Southwark being at the southern end of London Bridge [Southwark]
Spafield Street – after a former spa on this site which closed in 1776 [Clerkenwell]
Spanish Place – nearby Hertford House on Manchester Square was formerly home to the Spanish ambassador [Marylebone]
Speed Highwalk – after John Speed, Stuart-era mapmaker, who is buried in the nearby St Giles-without-Cripplegate [City of London]
Speedy Place – after the Speedy family, landlords of the former nearby pub the Golden Boot [Bloomsbury]
Spencer Street – after local landowners (dating back to the 17th century) the Compton family, earls and later marquises of Northampton, one of whom was cousins with Spencer Perceval
Spenser Street – after the poet Edmund Spenser, who lived nearby [Westminster]
Spitalfields E1 - In 1197, Mr Walter Brune, a Londoner, founded in the fields just east of Bishopsgate a large hospital for poor brethren of the order of St. Austin; Spring Gardens Westminster After the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660
Spring Gardens – after the 17th century pleasure grounds of this name which formerly lay on this site; they were closed in 1660 [St James's]
Spurgeon Street – after Charles Spurgeon, noted Victorian-era preacher [Southwark]
St Agnes Well – after an ancient well thought to have been located about 200 metres to the east, at the junction of Old Street and Great Eastern Street. Remnants of the well can be found within Old Street station. [Finsbury]

St Albans Court – after the adjacent St Alban, Wood Street church, of which only the tower now remains [City of London]
St Alban's Street – after Henry Jermyn, 1st Earl of Saint Albans, 17th century politician and local landowner [St James's]
St Alphage Garden – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Alphage Highwalk – after the adjacent St Alphege London Wall church, now surviving only in ruins [City of London]
St Andrew Street – after the adjacent St Andrew’s Church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Hill – after the adjacent St Andrew-by-the-Wardrobe church [City of London]
St Andrew’s Place – after the later William IV, Duke of St Andrews, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
St Ann’s Lane – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Ann’s Street – after a former chapel dedicated to St Anne that formerly stood here [Westminster]
St Anne's Court – after the surrounding parish of St Anne’s and the church, named after Saint Anne [Soho]
St Anselm’s Place – former site of St Anselm’s church, demolished 1938 [Mayfair]
St Barnabas Street – after the nearby Church of St Barnabas, Pimlico [Belgravia]
St Benet’s Place – after the former St Benet Gracechurch which stood near here; destroyed in the Great Fire, its replacement was then demolished in 1868 [City of London]
St Botolph Row – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Botolph Street – after the adjacent St Botolph's Aldgate church [City of London]
St Bride Street – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Avenue – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Bride’s Passage – after the adjacent St Bride's Church [City of London]
St Chad’s Place – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Clerkenwell]
St Chad’s Street – after the nearby St Chad’s well, reputed to be a medieval holy well; St Chad was a 7th-century bishop [Bloomsbury]
St Christopher’s Place – Octavia Hill, social reformer, cleared the slums of this area and named it in honour of St Christopher; formerly it was Barrett's Court, after Thomas Barret, local 18th century landowner [Marylebone]
St Clare Street – after a former church/convent here of the Little Sisters of St Clare [City of London]
St Clement’s Court – after the adjacent St Clement's, Eastcheap church [City of London]
St Cross Street – originally Cross Street, as it crossed land belonging to the Hatton family; the ‘St’ was added in 1937 to avoid confusion with numerous streets of the same name [Hatton Garden]
St Dunstan’s Alley – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Court – after the nearby St Dunstan-in-the-West church [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Hill – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Dunstan’s Lane – after the former St Dunstan-in-the-East church, largely destroyed in the Blitz and now a small garden [City of London]
St Erkenwald Road Barking and Dagenham Saint Erkenwald Saint and Bishop of London who founded Barking Abbey to the west of the road
St Ermin’s Hill – thought to be a corruption of Hermit Hill, or possibly after St Ermin/Armel, 6th century monk [Westminster]
St George Street – originally George Street, after George I, reigning monarch when the street was built; the ‘St’ was later added to link it to the nearby St George’s church [Mayfair]
St George’s Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Southwark]
St George’s Drive, St George’s Square and St George’s Square Mews – after the manor of St George’s, Hanover Square which originally stretched to the Thames, and was named for George I [Victoria]
St George’s Mews – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George’s Road – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Lambeth]
St George's Circus – as this area was formerly called St George’s Fields, after St George the Martyr, Southwark church; the circus opened in 1770 [Waterloo]
St Georges Court – after the former St George Botolph Lane church nearby, demolished in 1904 [City of London]
St Giles Circus – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles High Street – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Passage – after St Giles Hospital, a leper hospital founded by Matilda of Scotland, wife of Henry I in 1117. St Giles was an 8th-century hermit in Provence who was crippled in a hunting accident and later became patron saint of cripples and lepers. Circus is a British term for a road junction [Fitzrovia]Scala Street – after the Scala theatre which formerly stood here [Fitzrovia]
St Giles Terrace – after the adjacent St Giles-without-Cripplegate church [City of London]
St Helen’s Place – after the adjacent St Helen's Church, Bishopsgate and former priory here of the same name [City of London]
St Helena Street – believed to be named after St Helena, in commemoration of Napoleon’s exile there in 1815 [Clerkenwell]
St James’s Market, St James’s Place, St James's Square, St James’s Street and Little St James’s Street – the site of St James’s Palace was originally the site of St James’s leper hospital in the Middle Ages, named after James, son of Zebedee [St James's]
St James’s Passage – after St James Duke's Place church, demolished 1874 [City of London]
St James’s Walk – after the adjacent St James's Church, Clerkenwell [Clerkenwell]
St John Square – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Clerkenwell]
St John’s Lane, St John’s Path, St John’s Place, St John’s Square and St John Street – after the Monastic Order of the Knights Hospitallers of St John of Jerusalem, who set up their English headquarters here in the 12th century [Farringdon]
St John’s Wood Road – this land was in Medieval times owned by the Order of Knights of the Hospital of Saint John of Jerusalem [Lisson Grove]
St John's Wood NW8 - Part of the forest of Middlesex now known as St Johns Wood was in the manor of Lilestone (Lisson). It was in the reign of Edward I that a gift of the woods was made from Otho, son of William de Lileston to the Knights Templers, and later passed to the Knights Hospitallers of St Johns of Jerusalem, when it became St Johns Wood and has so remained ever since.
St Katherine’s Precinct – after the former Anglican chapel of St Katharine's Hospital, which retains its original dedication to Saint Katharine, and was built in 1826-8 (now the Danish Church) [Regent’s Park]
St Katherine’s Row – after the St Katherine Coleman church, demolished in 1926 [City of London]
St Luke’s Close – after the adjacent St Luke Old Street church [Finsbury]
St Margaret Street – after the nearby St Margaret's, Westminster [Westminster]
St Margaret’s Close – after the adjacent St Margaret Lothbury church [City of London]
St Margaret's Court – named for the former St Margaret’s church here; it was for a period known as Fishmonger’s Alley, as it belonged to the Worshipful Company of Fishmongers [Southwark]
St Martin’s Court, St Martin’s Courtyard and Saint Martin’s Lane, St Martin-in-the-Fields Church Path and St Martin’s Place – after St Martin-in-the-Fields church adjacent [Covent Garden]
St Martin’s le Grand – after a former church of this name here, demolished in 1538 [City of London]
St Martin’s Place – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Martin’s Street – named after St Martin-in-the-Fields church [Soho]
St Mary at Hill – after the St Mary-at-Hill church here [City of London]
St Mary Axe – after the former Church of St Mary Axe here, demolished in the 1500s [City of London]
St Mary's Gardens – after the parish of St Mary’s, Lambeth [Lambeth]
St Matthew Street – after St Matthew's Church, Westminster; it was formerly Duck Lane, as ducks were reared here [Westminster]
St Michael’s Alley – after the adjacent St Michael, Cornhill church [City of London]
St Mildred’s Court – after the former St Mildred, Poultry church, demolished 1872 [City of London]
St Olaf Stairs – probably for the former St Olave’s grammar school located here [Southwark]
St Olave’s Court – after the former St Olave Old Jewry church here, of which only the tower remains [City of London]
St Olave's Gardens – after the local parish of Southwark St Olave [Lambeth]
St Oswulf Street - as this areas was formerly part of the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex; Oswulf was Saxon-era chief here [Westminster]
St Paul’s Churchyard – after the adjacent St Paul’s Cathedral; the churchyard was formerly far more extensive, but has since been built over [City of London]
St Peter’s Alley – after the adjacent St Peter upon Cornhill church [City of London]
St Swithins Lane – after the former St Swithin, London Stone, largely destroyed in the Blitz and later demolished [City of London]
St Thomas Street – after St Thomas’ Hospital, formerly located here [Southwark]
St Vincent Street – after the nearby school founded by the Sisters of Charity of Saint Vincent de Paul [Marylebone]
Stable Yard – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stable Yard Road – as they leads to the stables of St James's Palace [St James's]
Stacey Street – after John Stacey, local landowner in the 16th century [St Gile's]
Stafford Place – after Viscount Stafford, who lived in a house adjacent in the 17th century [Westminster]
Stafford Street W1 - Named after Margaret Stafford local leaseholder in the late 17th century and partner of developer Sir Thomas Bond who built on this site in the seventeenth century.
Stag Place SW1 - The old brewhouse of the Westminster Abbey moved here after the dissolution of the monasteries in the sixteenth century. Later known as the Stag Brewery, was demolished in 1959,
Stainer Street – after John Stainer, prominent Victorian-era organist [Southwark]
Staining Lane – from Saxon-era ‘Staeninga haga’, meaning place owned by the people of Staines [City of London]
Stalbridge Street – for the Baker family, assistants of local landowners the Portmans, who owned land in Stalbridge, Dorset [Lisson Grove]
Stamford Street – after Stamford, Lincolnshire, hometown of John Marshall, local benefactor and churchman [Waterloo]
Stanhope Gate – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Row – after Philip Stanhope, 4th Earl of Chesterfield, who owned a mansion nearby in the 18th century [Mayfair]
Stanhope Street - as this land was formerly owned by Dukes of Bedford; Francis Russell, 7th Duke of Bedford was married to Anna Russell, Duchess of Bedford, daughter of Charles Stanhope, 3rd Earl of Harrington [Regent’s Park]
Stanley Crescent and Stanley Gardens Kensington and Chelsea Edward Stanley, 2nd Baron Stanley of Alderley President of the Board of Trade at the time the road was built.
Stannary Place - as it formed part of the manor of Kennington, which belonged to the Duchy of Cornwall, who also owned land around the stannary towns of Cornwall and Devon [Kennington];
Stannary Street was formerly Kennington Place [Kennington]
Staple Inn and Staple Inn Buildings – after the adjacent Staple Inn [City of London]
Star Alley – after a former inn here of this name [City of London]
Star Yard – after the former Starre Tavern here [Holborn]
Starcross Street – formerly Exmouth Street, it was renamed after the town of this name in Devon to avoid confusion with similarly named streets [Regent’s Park]
Station Approach Road – as it leads to Waterloo station [Waterloo]
Stationer’s Hall Court – after the adjacent hall of the Worshipful Company of Stationers and Newspaper Makers [City of London]
Stephen Mews and Stephen Street – after Stephen Lemaistre, business partner of local resident Peter Gaspard Gresse in the 1760s [Fitzrovia]
Stephenson Way – after Robert Stephenson, Victoria-era builder of the adjacent Euston station [Regent’s Park]
Sterry Street – after the Sterry family, local business owners in the 18th-19th centuries [Southwark]
Steve Biko Way Hounslow Steve Biko South African anti-apartheid activist
Stew Lane – after a former stew (hot bath) here [City of London]
Stillington Street – after Robert Stillington, Bishop of Bath in the 15th century [Westminster]
Stone House Court – after a former medieval building here called the Stone House [City of London]
Stonecutter Street – after the former stonecutting trade that took place here [City of London]
Stones End Street – as this marked the pointed where the paved surface of Borough High Street ended in former times [Southwark]
Stoney Lane – simply a descriptive name, streets typically being mud tracks in former times [City of London]
Stoney Street – formerly Stony Lane, both simply descriptive names [Southwark]
Storey's Gate SW1 - Abraham Storey, one of Wren's master-masons, built Storey's gate that now remembers his name. After 17th century St James’s Park birdkeeper Edward Storey, who had a house near here
Strand – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Thames Embankment [Strand]
Strand Lane – from Old English ‘stond’, meaning the edge of a river; the river Thames formerly reached here prior to the building of the Embankment [Covent Garden]
Stratford Place – after Edward Stratford, who owned a house nearby and built this street in the 1770s [Marylebone]
Stratton Street – after John Berkeley, 3rd Baron Berkeley of Stratton, local resident in the late 17th century [Mayfair]
Streatham Street – after Streatham, where local landowners the dukes of Bedford also owned property [Bloomsbury]
Strutton Ground – corruption of ‘Stourton’, from Stourton House where the local Dacre family lived [Westminster]
Strype Street E1 - John Strype,the son of a Huguenot weaver, was born here in 1643. He became an antiquary, historian and a parson.
Studio Place – as this are was home to many artists’ studios in the early 20th century [Belgravia]
Stukeley Street – after William Stukeley, clergyman and archaeologist, who lived nearby in the 18th century [Covent Garden]
Suffolk Lane – after a former house here belonging to the dukes of Suffolk [City of London]
Suffolk Place – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Suffolk Street – after Thomas Howard, Earl of Suffolk, who owned a stable yard attached to Northumberland House which lay on this site [Soho]
Sumner Buildings – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sumner Road, Harrow Part of a cluster of streets named after teachers and headmasters of Harrow School: Robert Carey Sumner (1760–1771).
Sumner Street – after Charles Sumner, Bishop of Winchester in the 19th century [Southwark]
Sun Street – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Sun Street Passage – after a former inn of this name [City of London]
Surrey Row – after the traditional county here of Surrey [Southwark]
Surrey Steps – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Surrey Street – built on the site of Arundel House, owned by the Howard family who had a branch holding the earldom of Surrey [Holborn]
Sussex Place – after Prince Augustus Frederick, Duke of Sussex, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV) [Regent’s Park]
Sussex Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate; as the last of their lands to be developed they had seemingly run out of eponymous names from themselves, so they chose various pleasant-sounding aristocratic titles, of which this is one [Victoria]
Sutherland Row – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutherland Street – this land was formerly part of the Grosvenor family estate, several members of whom married into the Duke of Sutherland family [Victoria]
Sutton Row – Thomas Belasyse, 1st Viscount Fauconberg owned a house here in the 17th century – his country house was Sutton House in Chiswick [Soho]
Swallow Passage – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Place – after a field on this site owned by Thomas Swallow in the 1530s [Mayfair]
Swallow Street Westminster Thomas Swallow Lessee of the pastures on which the road was built in 1540.
Swan Lane – after a former inn here called the Olde Swanne; formerly Ebbgate, after a watergate here [City of London]
Swan Street – after a former inn here of this name [Southwark]
Swedeland Court – after the former Swedish community based here [City of London]
Swinton Place – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swinton Street – after local 18th century landowner James Swinton [Clerkenwell]
Swiss Court – after the Swiss Centre that formerly stood here [Soho]
Sycamore Street – by association with the nearby Timber Street, or possibly after an inn of this name [Finsbury]


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 412 completed street histories and 47088 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Born here
www.violettrefusis.com   
Added: 17 Feb 2021 15:05 GMT   

Birth place
Violet Trefusis, writer, cosmopolitan intellectual and patron of the Arts was born at 2 Wilton Crescent SW1X.

Source: www.violettrefusis.com

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
old lady   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 11:58 GMT   

mis information
Cheltenham road was originally
Hall road not Hill rd
original street name printed on house still standing

Reply
Comment
Patricia Bridges   
Added: 19 Jul 2021 10:57 GMT   

Lancefield Coachworks
My grandfather Tom Murray worked here

Reply
Lived here
Former Philbeach Gardens Resident   
Added: 14 Jul 2021 00:44 GMT   

Philbeach Gardens Resident (Al Stewart)
Al Stewart, who had huts in the 70s with the sings ’Year of the Cat’ and ’On The Borders’, lived in Philbeach Gdns for a while and referenced Earl’s Court in a couple of his songs.
I lived in Philbeach Gardens from a child until my late teens. For a few years, on one evening in the midst of Summer, you could hear Al Stewart songs ringing out across Philbeach Gardens, particularly from his album ’Time Passages". I don’t think Al was living there at the time but perhaps he came back to see some pals. Or perhaps the broadcasters were just his fans,like me.
Either way, it was a wonderful treat to hear!

Reply
Lived here
David James Bloomfield   
Added: 13 Jul 2021 11:54 GMT   

Hurstway Street, W10
Jimmy Bloomfield who played for Arsenal in the 1950s was brought up on this street. He was a QPR supporter as a child, as many locals would be at the time, as a teen he was rejected by them as being too small. They’d made a mistake

Reply
Comment
rnorman345@aol.com   
Added: 6 Jul 2021 05:38 GMT   

Wren Road in the 1950s and 60s
Living in Grove Lane I knew Wren Road; my grandfather’s bank, Lloyds, was on the corner; the Scout District had their office in the Congregational Church and the entrance to the back of the Police station with the stables and horses was off it. Now very changed - smile.

Reply

fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply
Lived here
Kim Johnson   
Added: 24 Jun 2021 19:17 GMT   

Limehouse Causeway (1908)
My great grandparents were the first to live in 15 Tomlins Terrace, then my grandparents and parents after marriage. I spent the first two years of my life there. My nan and her family lived at number 13 Tomlins Terrace. My maternal grandmother lived in Maroon house, Blount Street with my uncle. Nan, my mum and her brothers were bombed out three times during the war.

Reply
Comment
Peter H Davies   
Added: 17 Jun 2021 09:33 GMT   

Ethelburga Estate
The Ethelburga Estate - named after Ethelburga Road - was an LCC development dating between 1963–65. According to the Wikipedia, it has a "pleasant knitting together of a series of internal squares". I have to add that it’s extremely dull :)

Source: Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bayard’s Bridge Bayard’s Bridge took the Uxbridge Road over the River Westbourne.
Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals.
Paddington The first underground railway station in the world ran from Paddington on 10 January 1863 as the terminus of the Metropolitan Railway’s route from Farringdon.
St Georges Fields St George’s Fields are a former burial ground of St George’s, Hanover Square, lying between Connaught Street and Bayswater Road.
St Mary’s Hospital, London St Mary’s Hospital is a hospital in Paddington, founded in 1845.

NEARBY STREETS
Albion Close, W2 Albion Close dates from around 1830.
Albion Mews, W2 Albion Mews is a cobbled cul-de-sac that is approached through an entrance under a building on Albion Street.
Albion Street, W2 Albion Street was laid out over the Pightle field in the late 1820s.
Bathurst Mews, W2 Bathurst Mews is a street in Paddington.
Bathurst Street, W2 Bathurst Street is a street in Paddington.
Bayswater Road, W2 Bayswater Road is the main road running along the northern edge of Hyde Park.
Belvedere Strand, W2 Belvedere Strand is a road in the NW9 postcode area
Bouverie Place, W2 Bouverie Place is a street in Paddington.
Brendon Street, W1H Brendon Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Brook Mews North, W2 Brook Mews North is a through road between Craven Terrace and Craven Hill.
Brook Mews, W2 A street within the W2 postcode
Burwood Place, W2 Burwood Place is a street in Paddington.
Cambridge Court, W2 Cambridge Court is a street in Paddington.
Cambridge Square, W2 Cambridge Square is a road in the W2 postcode area
Cato Street, W1H Cato Street is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Chilworth Mews, W2 Chilworth Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
Clarendon Place, W2 Clarendon Place is a street in Paddington.
Clifton Place, W2 Clifton Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Conduit Mews, W2 Conduit Mews is a street in Paddington.
Conduit Passage, W2 Conduit Passage is a street in Paddington.
Conduit Place, W2 Conduit Place is a street in Paddington.
Connaught Close, W2 Connaught Close is a cul-de-sac off Connaught Street.
Connaught Street, W2 Connaught Street is a street in Paddington.
Craven Road, W2 The Earl of Craven owned the land on which the road was later built.
Craven Terrace, W2 Craven Terrace is a street in Paddington.
Crawford Place, W1H Crawford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Devonshire Terrace, W2 Devonshire Terrace is a street in Paddington.
Eastbourne Mews, W2 Eastbourne Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
Eastbourne Terrace, W2 Eastbourne Terrace is a street in Paddington.
Edna House, W2 Residential block
Elms Lane, W2 Elms Lane in Bayswater was situated on the west bank of the Westbourne stream.
Elms Mews, W2 Elms Mews is a street in Paddington.
Garson House, W2 Residential block
Gloucester Mews, W2 Gloucester Mews is a street in Paddington.
Gloucester Square, W2 Gloucester Square is a road in the W2 postcode area
Horse Ride, W2 Horse Ride is a road in the E11 postcode area
Hyde Park Crescent, W2 Hyde Park Crescent is a street in Paddington.
Hyde Park Gardens Mews, W2 Hyde Park Gardens Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
Hyde Park Gardens, W2 Hyde Park Gardens is a street in Paddington.
Hyde Park Place, W2 Hyde Park Place is a street in Paddington.
Hyde Park Square, W2 Hyde Park Square was part of ’Tyburnia’ - planned in 1827 by Samuel Pepys Cockerell for the Bishop of London’s Estate
Hyde Park Street, W2 Hyde Park Street is a street in Paddington.
Junction Mews, W2 Junction Mews is a street in Paddington.
Junction Place, W2 Junction Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Kendal Street, W2 Kendal Street is a street in Paddington.
Lancaster Gate, W2 Lancaster Gate is a street in Paddington.
Lancaster Mews, W2 Lancaster Mews is a street in Paddington.
Lancaster Terrace, W2 Lancaster Terrace is a street in Paddington.
Lancaster Walk, W2 Lancaster Walk is a road in the W2 postcode area
Lanchester Mews, W2 Lanchester Mews is a road in the SE14 postcode area
London Mews, W2 London Mews is a street in Paddington.
London Street, W2 London Street is a street in Paddington.
Macmillan House, W2 Residential block
Norfolk Crescent, W2 Norfolk Crescent is a street in Paddington.
Norfolk Place, W2 Norfolk Place is a street in Paddington.
Norfolk Square, W2 Norfolk Square is a street in Paddington.
North Carriage Drive, W2 North Carriage Drive is a road in the W2 postcode area
Oxford Square, W2 Oxford Square is a road in the W2 postcode area
Park West, W2 Park West is a street in Paddington.
Porchester Place, W2 Porchester Place is a street in Paddington.
Praed Mews, W2 Praed Mews is a street in Paddington.
Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north.
Quadrangle Tower, W2 Quadrangle Tower is a street in Paddington.
Radnor Lodge, W2 Radnor Lodge is a street in Paddington.
Radnor Mews, W2 Radnor Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
Radnor Place, W2 Radnor Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Rainsford Street, W2 Rainsford Street is a street in Paddington.
Sale Place, W2 Sale Place is a street in Paddington.
Smallbrook Mews, W2 Smallbrook Mews is a road in the W2 postcode area
South Wharf Road, W2 South Wharf Road is a street in Paddington.
Southwick Mews, W2 Southwick Mews is a street in Paddington.
Southwick Place, W2 Southwick Place is a street in Paddington.
Southwick Street, W2 Southwick Street is a street in Paddington.
Spire House, W2 A street within the W2 postcode
Spring Street, W2 Spring Street is a street in Paddington.
St Johns Church, W2 St Johns Church is a street in Paddington.
St Michael’s Street, W2 Saint Michael’s Street is a road in the W2 postcode area
Stanhope Terrace, W2 Stanhope Terrace is a road in the W2 postcode area
Star Street, W2 Star Street is a street in Paddington.
Strathearn Place, W2 Strathearn Place is a street in Paddington.
Sussex Gardens, W2 Sussex Gardens is a street in Paddington.
Sussex Square, W2 Sussex Square is a road in the W2 postcode area
Talbot Square, W2 Talbot Square is a street in Paddington.
The Water Gardens, W2 The Water Gardens is a street in Paddington.
Upbrook Mews, W2 Upbrook Mews is built on top of the former Westbourne River.
Water Gardens, W2 Water Gardens is a street in Paddington.
Westbourne Street, W2 Westbourne Street is a street in Paddington.
Westbourne Terrace, W2 Westbourne Terrace was an idea of George Gutch the builder.
Winsland Street, W2 Winsland Street is a road in the W2 postcode area

NEARBY PUBS
Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals.
The Victory This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Queen’s Park

Queen’s Park lies between Kilburn and Kensal Green, developed from 1875 onwards and named to honour Queen Victoria.

The north of Queen’s Park formed part of the parish of Willesden and the southern section formed an exclave of the parish of Chelsea, both in the Ossulstone hundred of Middlesex. In 1889 the area of the Metropolitan Board of Works that included the southern section of Queen’s Park was transferred from Middlesex to the County of London, and in 1900 the anomaly of being administered from Chelsea was removed when the exclave was united with the parish of Paddington. In 1965 both parts of Queen’s Park became part of Greater London: the northern section - Queen’s Park ’proper’ formed part of Brent and the southern section - the Queen’s Park Estate - joined the City of Westminster.

Queen’s Park, like much of Kilburn, was developed by Solomon Barnett. The two-storey terraced houses east of the park, built between 1895 and 1900, typically have clean, classical lines. Those west of the park, built 1900–05, tend to be more Gothic in style. Barnett’s wife was from the West Country, and many of the roads he developed are named either for places she knew (e.g. Torbay, Tiverton, Honiton) or for popular poets of the time (e.g. Tennyson). The first occupants of the area in late Victorian times were typically lower middle class, such as clerks and teachers. Queen’s Park is both demographically and architecturally diverse. The streets around the park at the heart of Queen’s Park are a conservation area.

There is hardly any social housing in the streets around Queens Park itself, and the area was zoned as not suitable for social housing in the 1970s and 1980s as even then house prices were above average for the borough of Brent, which made them unaffordable for local Housing Associations. The main shopping streets of Salusbury Road and Chamberlayne Road have fewer convenience stores and more high-value shops and restaurants. Local schools – some of which struggled to attract the children of wealthier local families in the past – are now over-subscribed. House prices have risen accordingly.

Queen’s Park station was first opened by the London and North Western Railway on 2 June 1879 on the main line from London to Birmingham.

Services on the Bakerloo line were extended from Kilburn Park to Queen’s Park on 11 February 1915. On 10 May 1915 Bakerloo services began to operate north of Queen’s Park as far as Willesden Junction over the recently built Watford DC Line tracks shared with the LNWR.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Bayswater Road
TUM image id: 1552860722
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Chilworth Street, W2
TUM image id: 1483806751
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Fountains Abbey (2020)
TUM image id: 1583775118
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
A GWR 4073 Class locomotive waits to depart Paddington Station, adjacent to Brunel’s cast-iron Bishop’s Bridge road bridge, in April 1962.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Ben Brooksbank
Licence:
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Bayswater Road
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Fountains Abbey (2020)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page