Adam and Eve Tearooms

Pub in/near Euston Square, existed between 1718 and 1838

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  OPENSTREETMAP  GOOGLE MAP  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52517 -0.13873, 51.525 -0.138) 
MAP YEAR:1750180018301860190019502021Remove markers
Pub · * · NW1 ·
APRIL
4
2017

The Adam and Eve Tearooms were a fashionable Georgian watering hole.

The Adam and Eve Tearooms existed at least as early as 1718 on the site of the manor house at the northern end of Tottenham Court Road. In the 18th century it had a long room with an organ, bowling alleys and extensive gardens with arbours for tea drinking. It was famous for its quiet orchards of wild fruit trees and its location beside the toll booth for the Hampstead Road turnpike going north helped trade no end.

William Hone, in his Yearbook (1832), remembered the Adam and Eve “with spacious gardens at the side and in the rear, a fore-court with large timber trees, and tables and benches for out-door customers.” He speaks of the bowers and arbours for tea-drinking parties in the garden. The name of the inn goes back to 1718 and it is to be seen in Hogarth’s March of the Guards to Finchley in 1745 and it may be this inn to which George Wither, in Britain’s Remembrancer (1628), refers when he speaks of people resorting to Tottenham Court for cakes and cream.

On 13 May 1785 Vincenzo Lunardi, the balloonist, took off from the Honourable Artillery Company ground on his maiden flight and descended here within 20 minutes. ‘He was immediately surrounded by great numbers of the populace and though he proposed reascending they were not to be dissuaded from bearing him in triumph on their shoulders.’

Towards the end of the 18th century the gardens became hemmed in with houses and were frequented by criminals and prostitutes. In the early 19th century they were shut by the magistrates. They were reopened as a tavern in 1813.

The following is taken from “The History of the United Parishes of St Giles In The Fields by “Rowland Dobie” (1834):
These premises are at the corner of the Hampstead Road, and the New Road to Paddington, which is the site of the old manor house of Toten Hall. This was a lordship belonging to the deans of St. Paul’s Cathedral at the time of the Norman conquest. In 1560 it demised to the crown, and has always since been held on lease. In 1768 the manor vested in Lord Southampton, whose heirs pay an annuity, in lieu of a reserved rent, to the prebendary of Tottenham. Contiguous to the Adam and Eve, and near the reservoir of the New River Company, in the Hampstead road, there was lately standing an ancient house, called, in various old records, King John’s Palace. The Adam and Eve is now denominated a coffee-house, and that part which has been built of late years, and fronts the Paddington New road, with the sign board at the top corner, is used for tavern purposes, and connects with the older part of the building; the entrance to which is through the gateway with the lamp over it, in the Hampstead road. Within alone, with spacious gardens in the rear and at the sides, and a fore-court with large timber trees, and tables and benches for out-of-door customers. In the gardens were fruit-trees, and bowers, and arbours, for tea-drinking parties. In the rear there were not any houses; now there is a town.

At that time the “Adam and Eve Tea Gardens” were resorted to by thousands, as the end of a short walk into the country; and the trees were allowed to grow and expand naturally, unrestricted by art or fashion, which then were unknown to many such places as this, and others in the vicinage of London. At that time, too, there was only one Paddington stage. It was driven by the proprietor, or, rather, tediously dragged, along the clayey road from Paddington to the city, in the morning, and performed its journey in about two hours and a-half. It returned to Paddington in the evening, within three hours from its leaving the city; this was deemed “fair time,” considering the necessity for precaution against accidents of “night travelling!”

The Adam & Eve Tea Rooms would, on a modern map, be located at the north west corner of the junction of the Hampstead Road/Tottenham Court Road and the Euston Road. Later, Capital Radio’s Euston Tower was situated on the spot.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence



CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



Scott Hatton   
Added: 11 Sep 2020 19:47 GMT   

Millions Of Rats In Busy London
The Daily Mail on 14 April 1903 reported "MILLIONS OF RATS IN BUSY LONDON"

A rat plague, unprecedented in the annals of London, has broken out on the north side of the Strand. The streets principally infested are Catherine street, Drury lane, Blackmore street, Clare Market and Russell street. Something akin to a reign of terror prevails among the inhabitants after nightfall. Women refuse to pass along Blackmore street and the lower parts of Stanhope street after dusk, for droves of rats perambulate the roadways and pavements, and may be seen running along the window ledges of the empty houses awaiting demolition by the County Council in the Strand to Holborn improvement scheme.

The rats, indeed, have appeared in almost-incredible numbers. "There are millions of them," said one shopkeeper, and his statement was supported by other residents. The unwelcome visitors have been evicted from their old haunts by the County Council housebreakers, and are now busily in search of new homes. The Gaiety Restaurant has been the greatest sufferer. Rats have invaded the premises in such force that the managers have had to close the large dining room on the first floor and the grill rooms on the ground floor and in the basement. Those three spacious halls which have witnessed many as semblages of theatre-goers are now qui:e deserted. Behind the wainscot of the bandstand in the grillroom is a large mound of linen shreds. This represents 1728 serviettes carried theee by the rats.

In the bar the removal of a panel disclosed the astonishing fact that the rats have dragged for a distance of seven or eight yards some thirty or forty beer and wine bottles and stacked them in such a fashion as to make comfortable sleeping places. Mr Williams. the manager of the restaurant, estimates that the rats have destroyed L200 worth of linen. Formerly the Gaiety Restaurant dined 2000 persons daily; no business whatever is now done in this direction.

Reply
Lived here
Richard Roques   
Added: 21 Jan 2021 16:53 GMT   

Buckingham Street residents
Here in Buckingham Street lived Samuel Pepys the diarist, Charles Dickens and Rudyard Kipling

Reply

Justin Russ   
Added: 15 Feb 2021 20:25 GMT   

Binney Street, W1K
Binney St was previously named Thomas Street before the 1950’s. Before the 1840’s (approx.) it was named Bird St both above and below Oxford St.

Reply
Lived here
Julian    
Added: 23 Mar 2021 10:11 GMT   

Dennis Potter
Author Dennis Potter lived in Collingwood House in the 1970’s

Reply
Comment
Jessie Doring   
Added: 22 Feb 2021 04:33 GMT   

Tisbury Court Jazz Bar
Jazz Bar opened in Tisbury Court by 2 Australians. Situated in underground basement. Can not remember how long it opened for.

Reply

The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Dec 2020 00:24 GMT   

Othello takes a bow
On 1 November 1604, William Shakespeare’s tragedy Othello was presented for the first time, at The Palace of Whitehall. The palace was the main residence of the English monarchs in London from 1530 until 1698. Seven years to the day, Shakespeare’s romantic comedy The Tempest was also presented for the first time, and also at the Palace of Whitehall.

Reply
Comment
Carol   
Added: 7 May 2021 18:44 GMT   

Nan
My nan lily,her sister Elizabeth and their parents Elizabeth and William lived here in1911

Reply

Reg Carr   
Added: 10 Feb 2021 12:11 GMT   

Campbellite Meeting
In 1848 the Campbellites (Disciples of Christ) met in Elstree Street, where their congregation was presided over by a pastor named John Black. Their appointed evangelist at the time was called David King, who later became the Editor of the British Millennial Harbinger. The meeting room was visited in July 1848 by Dr John Thomas, who spoke there twice on his two-year ’mission’ to Britain.

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Lived here
Norman Norrington   
Added: 8 Jun 2021 08:08 GMT   

Blechynden Street, W10
Lived here #40 1942-1967

Reply
Comment
Brenda Newton   
Added: 5 Jun 2021 07:17 GMT   

Hewer Street W10
John Nodes Undertakers Hewer Street W10

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

Abbeville Road (1940 street directory)
North west side
1A Clarke A S Ltd, motor engineers
15 Plumbers, Glaziers & Domestic Engineers Union
25 Dixey Edward, florist
27 Vicary Miss Doris J, newsagent
29 Stenning John Andrew, dining rooms
31 Clarke & Williams, builders
33 Hill Mrs Theodora, confectioner
35 Golding W & sons, corn dealers
... here is Shandon road ...
37 Pennington Mrs Eliz Harvie, wine & spirit merchant
39 Westminster Catering Co Ltd, ham, beef & tongue dealers
41 Masters A (Clapham) Ltd, butchers
43 Thomas Euan Ltd, grocers
45 Garrett C T & Co Ltd, undertakers
47 Mayle T & Sons, fishmongers
49 Mayles Ltd, fruiterers
51 & 73 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
53 United Dairies (London) Ltd
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
55 Norris William Lennox, baker
57 Silver Star Laundry Ltd
59 Thorp John, oilman
61 Bidgood Leonard George, boot makers
63 Wilkie Rt Miln, chemist
65 Gander George Albert Isaac, hairdresser
67 Harris Alfred William, greengrocer
69 & 71 Lambert Ernest & Son Ltd, grocers
... here is Hambolt road ...
73 & 51 Hardy Arthur Sydney, draper
75 Cambourn Frederick, butcher
77 Siggers Clement, chemist
77 Post, Money Order, Telephone Call & Telegraph Office & Savings Bank
79 Hemmings William, baker
... here is Elms road ...
85 Cornish Joseph
91 Bedding Mrs
151 Johnson Mrs H K
157 Robinson Albert Ernest, grainer
173 Yardleys London & Provincial Stores Ltd, wine & spirit merchants
175 Clark Alfred, butcher
175A Morley Douglas Frederick, confectioner
... here is Crescent lane ...
... her is St Alphonsus road ...

South east side
... here is Trouville road ...
4 Bossy Miss, private school
... here are Bonneville gardens ...
24 Osborn Charles Edward, ladies hairdresser
24 Hall H Ltd, builders
24A Walton Lodge Laundry Ltd
... here are Shandon road & Abbeville mansions ...
28 Copley Fred Smith, chemist
30 Finch H G Ltd, laundry
32 Carter William Alfred, furniture dealer
34 Spriggs Charles & Co, wireless supplies dealer
36 Miles Frederick William, confectioner
38 Pitman Frederick, hairdresser
40 Rowe Frederick F, valeting service
42 Modridge Edward J, oilman
... here is Narbonne avenue ...
44 Southorn Albert, butcher
46 Brown Ernest, fruiterer
48 Stanley Mrs A A, confectioner
50 Fryatt Owen, delixatessen store
52 Benbrooks, domestic stores
54 Davis William Clifford, boot repairer
56 Blogg Alfred, newsagent
58 Rowlands Thomas & Sons, dairy
... here are Hambalt, Elms, Franconia, Caldervale & Leppoc roads ...
124 Clarke Frederick, decorator
... here are Crescent lane, Briarwood road & Park hill ...

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 2 Jun 2021 16:58 GMT   

Parachute bomb 1941
Charles Thomas Bailey of 82 Morley Road was killed by the parachute bomb March 1941

Reply
Comment
Boo Horton    
Added: 31 May 2021 13:39 GMT   

Angel & Trumpet, Stepney Green
The Angel & Trumpet Public House in Stepney Green was run by my ancestors in the 1930’s. Unfortunately, it was a victim on WWII and was badly damaged and subsequently demolished. I have one photograph that I believe to bethe pub, but it doesn’t show much more that my Great Aunt cleaning the steps.

Reply
Comment
MCNALLY    
Added: 17 May 2021 09:42 GMT   

Blackfriars (1959 - 1965)
I lived in Upper Ground from 1959 to 1964 I was 6 years old my parents Vince and Kitty run the Pub The Angel on the corner of Upper Ground and Bodies Bridge. I remember the ceiling of the cellar was very low and almost stretched the length of Bodies Bridge. The underground trains run directly underneath the pub. If you were down in the cellar when a train was coming it was quite frightening

Reply
Comment
PETER FAIRCLOUGH   
Added: 10 May 2021 14:46 GMT   

We once lived here
My family resided at number 53 Brindley Street Paddington.
My grandparents George and Elizabeth Jenkinson (ne Fowler) had four children with my Mother Olive Fairclough (ne Jenkinson) being born in the house on 30/09/1935.
She died on 29/04/2021 aged 85 being the last surviving of the four siblings

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Adam and Eve Tearooms The Adam and Eve Tearooms were a fashionable Georgian watering hole.
Fairyland During the period leading up to and during the First World War, 92 Tottenham Court Road was the location of a shooting range called Fairyland.
Great Portland Street Great Portland Street is a London Underground station near Regent’s Park.
Regent’s Park Estate The Regent’s Park Estate is a large housing estate in the London Borough of Camden.
St James Gardens St James Gardens were used as a burial ground between 1790 and 1853.

NEARBY STREETS
Albany Terrace, NW1 Albany Terrace was named after Prince Frederick, Duke of York and Albany, brother of the Prince Regent (George IV).
Bolsover Street, W1W Bolsover Street - home to the Royal National Orthopaedic Hospital since 1907.
Brock Street, NW1 Brock Street was formerly called Henry Street.
Byng Place, WC1E Byng Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Cambridge Gate Mews, NW1 Cambridge Gate Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cambridge Terrace Mews, NW1 Cambridge Terrace Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cambridge Terrace, NW1 Cambridge Terrace is a crescent off of the Outer Circle.
Capper Street, WC1E Capper Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Carburton Street, W1W Carburton Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Chenies Mews, WC1E Chenies Mews is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Chester Close South, NW1 Chester Close South is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Chester Court, NW1 Chester Court is a street in Camden Town.
Chester Gate, NW1 Chester Gate is a street in Camden Town.
Chester Terrace, NW1 Chester Terrace is the longest unbroken facade of the neo-classical terraces in Regent's Park.
Clarence Gardens, NW1 Clarence Gardens is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cleveland Street, W1W Cleveland Street maybe dates from before 1632 when its name was recorded as Wrastling Lane.
Clipstone Mews, W1T Clipstone Mews is a road in the W1T postcode area
Coach Road, W1T Coach Road is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cobourg Street, NW1 Cobourg Street is a street in Camden Town.
Conway Mews, W1T Conway Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Conway Street, W1T Conway Street runs from the Euston Road in the north to Fitzroy Square in the south.
Darwin Walk, WC1E Darwin Walk is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Devonshire Row Mews, W1B Devonshire Row Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Devonshire Street, W1B Devonshire Street is a road in the W1B postcode area
Devonshire Street, W1W Devonshire Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Doric Way, NW1 Doric Way is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Drummond Street, NW1 Drummond Street was the original site of Euston Station.
Endsleigh Gardens, WC1H Endsleigh Gardens is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Endsleigh Street, WC1H Endsleigh Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Ernest Street, NW1 Ernest Street appears on the 1860 map as the name for part of Robert Street.
Euston Centre, NW1 Euston Centre is a street in Camden Town.
Euston Road, NW1 Euston Road runs from Marylebone Road to King's Cross. The road is part of the London Inner Ring Road and forms part of the London congestion charge zone boundary.
Euston Road, W1T Euston Road is a road in the W1T postcode area
Euston Square, NW1 This is a street in the NW1 postcode area
Euston Street, NW1 Euston Street is a street in Camden Town.
Euston Tower, NW1 Euston Tower is a skyscraper located at 286 Euston Road, near the intersection with Tottenham Court Road.
Everton Buildings, NW1 Everton Buildings is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Fitzroy Court, W1T Fitzroy Court is a road in the W1T postcode area
Fitzroy Mews, W1T Fitzroy Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Fitzroy Square, W1T Fitzroy Square is one of the Georgian squares of London.
Fitzroy Street, W1T Fitzroy Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Foundry Mews, NW1 Foundry Mews is a road in the NW1 postcode area
George Mews, NW1 George Mews lies within the NW1 postcode.
Gordon Mansions, WC1E Gordon Mansions is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Gordon Street, WC1H Gordon Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Gower Court, WC1E Gower Court is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Gower Place, WC1E Gower Place runs from Gordon Street to Gower Street.
Gower Street, WC1E Gower Street is named after Gertrude Leveson-Gower, the wife of John Russell, the 4th Duke of Bedford.
Grafton Mews, W1T Grafton Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Place, NW1 Grafton Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Grafton Way, W1T Grafton Way is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Grafton Way, WC1E Grafton Way was formerly Grafton Street.
Great Portland Street, W1W Great Portland Street forms the boundary between Fitzrovia to the east and Marylebone to the west.
Greenwell Street, W1T Greenwell Street is a road in the W1T postcode area
Greenwell Street, W1W Greenwell Street is one of the streets of London in the W1W postal area.
Howland Street, W1T Howland Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Huntley Street, WC1E Huntley Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Lancing Street, NW1 Lancing Street is a street in Camden Town.
Laxton Place, NW1 Laxton Place is a street in Camden Town.
Little Albany Street, NW1 Little Albany Street is a street in Camden Town.
Longford Street, NW1 Longford Street is a street in Camden Town.
Malet Place, WC1E Malet Place is a road in the WC1E postcode area
Maple Street, W1T Maple Street is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Maple Street, W1T This is a street in the 92103 postcode area
Melton Street, NW1 Melton Street is a street in Camden Town.
Midford Place, W1T Midford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Mortimer Market, WC1E Mortimer Market is a road in the W1T postcode area
Munster Square, NW1 Munster Square is a street in Camden Town.
Nash Street, NW1 Nash Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Netley Street, NW1 Netley Street was formerly called William Street.
North Cloisters, WC1E North Cloisters is a road in the WC1E postcode area
North Gower Street, NW1 North Gower Street is a street in Camden Town.
Osnaburgh Street, NW1 Osnaburgh Street is a street in Camden Town.
Park Crescent, W1B Park Crescent is one of the streets of London in the W1B postal area.
Park Square East, NW1 Park Square East lies north of Park Crescent and Marylebone Road.
Peto Place, NW1 Peto Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Prince Of Wales Passage, NW1 Prince Of Wales Passage is a street in Camden Town.
Prince Regent Mews, NW1 Prince Regent Mews is a street in Camden Town.
Queen’s Yard, W1T Queen’s Yard is a road in the W1T postcode area
Robert Street, NW1 Robert Street is a street in Camden Town.
South Cloisters, WC1H South Cloisters is a road in the WC1H postcode area
St Andrews Place, NW1 St Andrews Place is a street in Camden Town.
St Annes, NW1 St Annes is a street in Camden Town.
St Mary Magdalene Church, NW1 St Mary Magdalene Church is a street in Camden Town.
Stanhope Parade, NW1 Stanhope Parade is a street in Camden Town.
Stanhope Street, NW1 Stanhope Street is a street in Camden Town.
Starcross Street, NW1 Starcross Street is a street in Camden Town.
Stephenson Way, NW1 Stephenson Way is a street in Camden Town.
Taviton Street, WC1H Taviton Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1H postal area.
Third Floor, WC1E Third Floor is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Tolmers Square, NW1 Tolmers Square roughly covers the site of a reservoir of the New River Company.
Torrington Place, WC1E Torrington Place was developed by James Sim in partnership with his two sons.
Triton Square, NW1 Triton Square is a street in Camden Town.
Triton Street, NW1 Triton Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
University Street, WC1E University Street is one of the streets of London in the WC1E postal area.
Warren Court, NW1 Warren Court is a street in Camden Town.
Warren Mews, W1T Warren Mews is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Warren Street, W1T Warren Street was named after Anne Warren (1737–1807), the wife of Charles FitzRoy, landowner.
Whitfield Place, W1T Whitfield Place is one of the streets of London in the W1T postal area.
Whitfield Street, W1T Whitfield Street runs from Warren Street in the north to Windmill Street in the south.
Whittlebury Street, NW1 Whittlebury Street once laid to the west of Euston station.
William Road, NW1 William Road dates from 1799 or before.
William Street, NW1 William Street appears on the 1860 map west of Hampstead Road.

NEARBY PUBS
Bap and Pickle Smugglers Tavern This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Camden People’s Theatre This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Cavali This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Crown & Anchor This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Doric Arch This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Euston Tap This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Exmouth Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Fitzrovia Belle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Gallery Coffee Shop This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Grafton Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Jeremy Bentham This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Marlborough Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Masons Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Nelsons Wine Bar Ltd This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Northumberland Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Prince Of Wales Feathers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Queens Head & Artichoke This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Royal George This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Shaker and Company This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Simmons Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Spearmint Rhino This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Albany This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bar at TCR This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Bree Louise This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Carpenters Arms This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Court This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The George & Dragon This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Lukin This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The Squares Tavern & Wine Bar This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Vault 139 This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Adam and Eve Tearooms

$The Adam and Eve Tearooms were a fashionable Georgian watering hole.

The Adam and Eve Tearooms existed at least as early as 1718 on the site of the manor house at the northern end of Tottenham Court Road. In the 18th century it had a long room with an organ, bowling alleys and extensive gardens with arbours for tea drinking. It was famous for its quiet orchards of wild fruit trees and its location beside the toll booth for the Hampstead Road turnpike going north helped trade no end.

William Hone, in his Yearbook (1832), remembered the Adam and Eve “with spacious gardens at the side and in the rear, a fore-court with large timber trees, and tables and benches for out-door customers.” He speaks of the bowers and arbours for tea-drinking parties in the garden. The name of the inn goes back to 1718 and it is to be seen in Hogarth’s March of the Guards to Finchley in 1745 and it may be this inn to which George Wither, in Britain’s Remembrancer (1628), refers when he speaks of people resorting to Tottenham Court for cakes and cream.

On 13 May 1785 Vincenzo Lunardi, the balloonist, took off from the Honourable Artillery Company ground on his maiden flight and descended here within 20 minutes. ‘He was immediately surrounded by great numbers of the populace and though he proposed reascending they were not to be dissuaded from bearing him in triumph on their shoulders.’

Towards the end of the 18th century the gardens became hemmed in with houses and were frequented by criminals and prostitutes. In the early 19th century they were shut by the magistrates. They were reopened as a tavern in 1813.

The following is taken from “The History of the United Parishes of St Giles In The Fields by “Rowland Dobie” (1834):
These premises are at the corner of the Hampstead Road, and the New Road to Paddington, which is the site of the old manor house of Toten Hall. This was a lordship belonging to the deans of St. Paul’s Cathedral at the time of the Norman conquest. In 1560 it demised to the crown, and has always since been held on lease. In 1768 the manor vested in Lord Southampton, whose heirs pay an annuity, in lieu of a reserved rent, to the prebendary of Tottenham. Contiguous to the Adam and Eve, and near the reservoir of the New River Company, in the Hampstead road, there was lately standing an ancient house, called, in various old records, King John’s Palace. The Adam and Eve is now denominated a coffee-house, and that part which has been built of late years, and fronts the Paddington New road, with the sign board at the top corner, is used for tavern purposes, and connects with the older part of the building; the entrance to which is through the gateway with the lamp over it, in the Hampstead road. Within alone, with spacious gardens in the rear and at the sides, and a fore-court with large timber trees, and tables and benches for out-of-door customers. In the gardens were fruit-trees, and bowers, and arbours, for tea-drinking parties. In the rear there were not any houses; now there is a town.

At that time the “Adam and Eve Tea Gardens” were resorted to by thousands, as the end of a short walk into the country; and the trees were allowed to grow and expand naturally, unrestricted by art or fashion, which then were unknown to many such places as this, and others in the vicinage of London. At that time, too, there was only one Paddington stage. It was driven by the proprietor, or, rather, tediously dragged, along the clayey road from Paddington to the city, in the morning, and performed its journey in about two hours and a-half. It returned to Paddington in the evening, within three hours from its leaving the city; this was deemed “fair time,” considering the necessity for precaution against accidents of “night travelling!”

The Adam & Eve Tea Rooms would, on a modern map, be located at the north west corner of the junction of the Hampstead Road/Tottenham Court Road and the Euston Road. Later, Capital Radio’s Euston Tower was situated on the spot.


LOCAL PHOTOS
BT Tower
TUM image id: 1481989234
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road (1927)
TUM image id: 1556973109
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Tottenham Court Road, W1T
TUM image id: 1466596673
Licence: CC BY 2.0
The Polygon, Somers Town in 1850.
TUM image id: 1499354315
Licence: CC BY 2.0
St. James Gardens
Credit: Google
TUM image id: 1530005129
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
BT Tower
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The Prince of Wales Theatre in 1903 shortly before its demolition for the building of the Scala Theatre in 1904.
Credit: Caroline Blomfield
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Fairyland, 92 Tottenham Court Road London circa 1905
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

10 Gower Street, Bloomsbury
Credit: Spudgun67
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Camden Town, from the Hampstead Road, Marylebone (1780)
Credit: Old and New London: Volume 5 (1878)
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Tottenham Court Road, W1T
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

The Polygon, Somers Town in 1850.
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

This painting bears the inscription: All that remained in the year 1844 of the once celebrated Rhobess Farm, Hampstead Road now Ampthill Square
Credit: Wikimedia Commons
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

St. James Gardens
Credit: Google
Licence: CC BY 2.0
To View or share the image, go to its dedicated web page

Print-friendly version of this page