Paddington Green Children’s Hospital

Hospital in/near Little Venice, existed between 1883 and 1987

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.52091 -0.17357, 51.52 -0.173) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Hospital · Little Venice · W2 ·
MARCH
28
2017

The Paddington Green Children’s Hospital opened in August 1883.

In 1862 Drs Eustace Smith and T.C. Kirby established the North West London Free Dispensary for Sick Children at 12 Bell Street, Edgware Road, as a charity for children of the poor. The Dispensary provided medical treatment for any child without notice or recommendation.

The premises at Bell Street soon became too small and, in the early 1880s, £7,000 was raised to buy two houses in Church Street on the northeast corner of Paddington Green. These were converted into a hospital.

The Paddington Green Children’s Hospital opened in August 1883. In 1888 an iron hut was built in the grounds to serve as an Out-Patients Department and waiting room.

By 1892 the Hospital had 27 beds for boys up to the age of 12 years and girls up to the age of 14. In 1893 a serious outbreak of diphtheria, the source of which could not be traced, caused the Hospital to close and the main buildings to be demolished. It was then discovered that two old cesspits nearby appeared to be the cause of the outbreak.

The Hospital had moved temporarily to a house a few minutes walk from Harrow station, while plans were made to build a new hospital building on the original site. A convalescent home was established at Paddington Cottage in Wembley (this soon closed as it was in ’unfit condition’).

In the meantime plans were made for the new Hospital building, but these had to be modified as the County Council did not allow the line of frontage suggested. A few builders were then selected but the bids were in far excess of the estimated cost of £10,500, so the architects were asked to modify the plans again. The building was made slightly smaller with no porch or other non-essentials. The accepted bid came to about £11,000 and a contract was signed.

Temporary administrative offices for the Hospital opened at 28 Paddington Green. The Out-Patients Department continued to function but had to close for one month to be connected to the new Hospital building. It was not possible for operations to be carried out at Harrow, so patients were treated at other hospitals and then convalesced at Harrow. Patients could spend the whole day out-of-doors and the open air at Harrow alleviated bronchitis, pneumonia, empyema, acute and chronic rheumatism, and tuberculosis and its sequelae. The average stay was for over a month.

The new building was officially opened in 1895 by the Duchess of Teck and was extended the following year.

By 1904 the Hospital had 46 beds and cots. It was financed mainly by gifts, including £5,000 which had been bequeathed in 1907 by Samuel Lewis. By 1908 the premises of the Out-Patients Department had become inadequate as the number of patients had almost doubled. The Hospital purchased the freehold land for an extension and plans were made for a new building at a cost of £5,000.

In 1911 a much improved Out-Patients Department opened. The building contained a waiting room, consulting rooms, changing rooms, and an operating theatre with an adjacent anaesthetic room and recovery room. A covered way was built for those waiting to go into the Out-Patients Department.

In 1920 the Hospital had 40 beds, with the average length of stay for each patient about 17 to 20 days. In 1926 a Rheumatism Supervisory Centre for patients with rheumatic heart disease opened (it was closed to new cases in 1939 due to the diminution in the number of admissions).

In 1933 the Hospital was refurbished internally, and then had 52 beds and cots, and in 1934 the Out-Patients Department was extended.

In 1948 the Hospital joined the NHS and became affiliated with St Mary’s Hospital in Praed Street, and came under the administration of St Mary’s Group Hospital Management Committee. In 1949, due to an excess of paediatric beds in the St Mary’s Group, the Committee considered converting the Hospital to treat adult patients suffering from skin and throat disorders, but this was resisted. A protest was organised, with a petition signed by 8,000 mothers being sent to the Minister of Health. The Committee changed its mind and the Hospital remained unaltered.

However, by 1974 it had 16 beds. With the NHS reorganisation at that time, it came under the control of the North West (Teaching) District Health Authority, part of the North West London Regional Health Authority. In 1978 plans were being made to close the Hospital once the St Mary’s Hospital site had been redeveloped.

It closed in 1987 with 16 beds. Services were transferred to the paediatric unit in the newly built 10-storey Queen Elizabeth The Queen Mother Wing at St Mary’s Hospital.


Licence: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike Licence

Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 471 completed street histories and 47029 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY


Born here
www.violettrefusis.com   
Added: 17 Feb 2021 15:05 GMT   

Birth place
Violet Trefusis, writer, cosmopolitan intellectual and patron of the Arts was born at 2 Wilton Crescent SW1X.

Source: www.violettrefusis.com

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Bob Land   
Added: 29 Jun 2022 13:20 GMT   

Map legends
Question, I have been looking at quite a few maps dated 1950 and 1900, and there are many abbreviations on the maps, where can I find the lists to unravel these ?

Regards

Bob Land

Reply
Comment
Alison   
Added: 26 Jun 2022 18:20 GMT   

On the dole in north London
When I worked at the dole office in Medina Road in the 1980s, "Archway" meant the social security offices which were in Archway Tower at the top of the Holloway Road. By all accounts it was a nightmare location for staff and claimants alike. This was when Margaret Thatcher’s government forced unemployment to rise to over 3 million (to keep wages down) and computerised records where still a thing of the future. Our job went from ensuring that unemployed people got the right sort and amount of benefits at the right time, to stopping as many people as possible from getting any sort of benefit at all. Britain changed irrevocably during this period and has never really recovered. We lost the "all in it together" frame of mind that had been born during the second world war and became the dog-eat-dog society where 1% have 95% of the wealth and many people can’t afford to feed their children. For me, the word Archway symbolises the land of lost content.

Reply
Comment
Jack Wilson   
Added: 21 Jun 2022 21:40 GMT   

Penfold Printers
I am seeking the location of Penfold Printers Offices in Dt Albans place - probably about 1870 or so

Reply
Lived here
   
Added: 19 Jun 2022 16:58 GMT   

Runcorn Place, W11
Runcorn place

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 30 May 2022 19:03 GMT   

The Three Magpies
Row of houses (centre) was on Heathrow Rd....Ben’s Cafe shack ( foreground ) and the Three Magpies pub (far right) were on the Bath Rd

Reply
Comment
Watts   
Added: 17 May 2022 20:29 GMT   

Baeethoven St School, also an Annex for Paddington College of FE.
In the early 70’s I took a two year science course at Paddington CFE. The science classes were held on weekday evenings at Beethoven Street school, overseen by chemistry teacher, Mr Tattershall.

Reply

   
Added: 25 Apr 2022 22:11 GMT   

Southover, N12
Everyone knows Central Woodside is the place to be. Ever since kdog moved from finchtown, Woodside has been thriving.

Reply
Born here
Bernard Miller   
Added: 12 Apr 2022 17:36 GMT   

My mother and her sister were born at 9 Windsor Terrace
My mother, Millie Haring (later Miller) and her sister Yetta Haring (later Freedman) were born here in 1922 and 1923. With their parents and older brother and sister, they lived in two rooms until they moved to Stoke Newington in 1929. She always said there were six rooms, six families, a shared sink on the first floor landing and a toilet in the backyard.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bishop’s Bridge Bishop’s Bridge, sometimes known as Paddington Bridge, is a road bridge which carries Bishop’s Bridge Road across the rail approaches to Paddington station
Edgware Road Edgware Road station was a station on the world’s first underground railway.
Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals.
Hyett’s hand-drawn 1807 map William Hyett produced an amazingly accurate map of the London countryside in 1807, using just pen and paper.
Paddington The first underground railway station in the world ran from Paddington on 10 January 1863 as the terminus of the Metropolitan Railway’s route from Farringdon.
Paddington Fire Station Paddington Fire Station was situated at 492-498 Edgware Road.
Paddington Green Children’s Hospital The Paddington Green Children’s Hospital opened in August 1883.
St Mary’s Hospital, London St Mary’s Hospital is a hospital in Paddington, founded in 1845.

NEARBY STREETS
Adpar Street, W2 Adpar Street is a street in Paddington.
Ashbridge Street, NW8 Ashbridge Street is named after Arthur Ashbridge, District Surveyor for Marylebone between 1884–1918.
Ashmill Street, NW8 Ashmill Street was formerly owned by the Portman estate and named for Ash Mill in Devon where the family owned land.
Bell Street, NW1 Bell Street is a street in Camden Town.
Blomfield Road, W2 Blomfield Road is the road running beside the canal on the Little Venice side.
Boldero Place, NW8 Boldero Place is a location in London.
Boscobel Street, NW8 Boscobel Street is named after a nearby pub called the Royal Oak.
Bouverie Place, W2 Bouverie Place is a street in Paddington.
Braithwaite Tower, W2 Braithwaite Tower is a block on Hall Place
Broadley Street, NW8 Broadley Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Broadley Terrace, NW1 Broadley Terrace is a street in Camden Town.
Cabbell Street, NW1 Cabbell Street is a street in Camden Town.
Cambridge Court, W2 Cambridge Court is a block on Edgware Road
Canalside Walk, W2 Canalside Walk is a location in London.
Chapel Street, NW1 Chapel Street is a street in Camden Town.
Church Street, NW8 Church Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Church Street, W2 Church Street, laid out in the 1790s, ran to the parish church at Paddington Green.
Clarendon Gardens, W9 Clarendon Gardens is a street in Maida Vale.
Corlett Street, NW1 Corlett Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Cosway Street, NW1 Cosway Street is a street in Camden Town.
Crawford Place, W1H Crawford Place is one of the streets of London in the W1H postal area.
Crompton Street, W2 Crompton Street is a street in Paddington.
Cuthbert Street, W2 Cuthbert Street is a street in Paddington.
Daventry Street, NW1 Daventry Street is a street in Camden Town.
Dudley Street, W2 Dudley Street is a road in the W2 postcode area
Edgware Road, W2 Edgware Road is part of one of London’s oldest roads.
Edward House, W2 Edward House is located on Hall Place
Frampton Street, NW8 Frampton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Gateforth Street, NW8 Gateforth Street is a location in London.
Hall Place, W2 Hall Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Harbet Road, W2 Harbet Road is a street in Paddington.
Harrow Road, W2 Harrow Road is one of the main arterial roads of London, leading northwest out of the capital.
Hatton Street, NW8 This is a street in the NW8 postcode area
Hermitage Street, W2 Hermitage Street is a road in the W2 postcode area
Howards Way, W2 Howards Way is a road in the W2 postcode area
Howley Place, W2 Howley Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Joe Strummer Subway, W2 Joe Strummer Subway is a road in the W2 postcode area
John Aird Court, W2 John Aird Court is a series of distinct blocks in Paddington.
Junction Mews, W2 Junction Mews is a street in Paddington.
Junction Place, W2 Junction Place is a road in the W2 postcode area
Lisson Street, NW1 Lisson Street is a street in Camden Town.
Luton Street, NW8 Luton Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Lyons Place, NW8 Lyons Place is named for John Lyon (c.1511-92) who founded Harrow School.
Macmillan House, W2 Residential block
Maida Avenue, W2 Maida Avenue is a street in Paddington.
Mallory Street, NW8 Mallory Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Marylebone Flyover, NW1 Marylebone Flyover is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Marylebone Flyover, W2 Marylebone Flyover is a road in the W2 postcode area
Merchant Square, W2 Merchant Square is a road in the W2 postcode area
Miles Buildings, NW8 Miles Buildings is a street in Camden Town.
Newcastle Mews, W2 Newcastle Mews lay off the Edgware Road.
Newcastle Place, W2 Newcastle Place is a location in London.
North Wharf Road, W2 North Wharf Road is a street in Paddington.
Old Marylebone Road, NW1 Old Marylebone Road is a street in Camden Town.
Paddington Green, W2 Paddington Green is a surviving fragment of the original rural fabric of the area.
Paddington Square, W2 Paddington Square is a location in London.
Park Place Villas, W2 Park Place Villas is a street in Paddington.
Penfold Place, NW1 Penfold Place is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Penfold Street, NW8 Penfold Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Plympton Place, NW8 Plympton Place is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Porteus Road, W2 Porteus Road is a road in the W2 postcode area
Portman Gate, NW1 Portman Gate is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Portman House, Portman House is a block on Daventry Street
Praed Street, W2 Praed Street was named after William Praed, chairman of the company which built the canal basin which lies just to its north.
Princess Louise Close, W2 Princess Louise Close is a street in Paddington.
Rainsford Street, W2 Rainsford Street is a street in Paddington.
Randolph Mews, W9 Randolph Mews is a road in the W9 postcode area
Randolph Road, W9 Randolph Road is a road in the W9 postcode area
Ranston Street, NW1 Ranston Street is a street in Camden Town.
Rosewood Walk, W2 Rosewood Walk is a location in London.
Sale Place, W2 Sale Place is a street in Paddington.
Salisbury Street, NW8 Salisbury Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Sheldon Square, W2 Sheldon Square is a street in Paddington.
Shroton Street, NW1 Shroton Street is a street in Camden Town.
South Wharf Road, W2 South Wharf Road is a street in Paddington.
St Marks Church, W1H St Marks Church is a street in Camden Town.
St Marys Mansions, W2 St Marys Mansions is a street in Paddington.
St Marys Terrace, W2 St Marys Terrace is a street in Paddington.
St Mary’s Square, W2 Saint Mary’s Square is a square in the W2 postcode area
St Michael’s Street, W2 Saint Michael’s Street is a road in the W2 postcode area
Stalbridge Street, NW1 Stalbridge Street is a road in the NW1 postcode area
Star Street, W2 Star Street is a street in Paddington.
Transept Street, NW1 Transept Street is a street in Camden Town.
Wallace Court, NW1 Wallace Court is a street in Camden Town.
Warwick Avenue, W2 Warwick Avenue is split between the W2 and W9 postcodes.
Westway, W2 At its opening, Westway was the largest continuous concrete structure in Britain.
Whitehaven Street, NW8 Whitehaven Street is a road in the NW8 postcode area
Winsland Street, W2 Winsland Street is a road in the W2 postcode area

NEARBY PUBS
Fountains Abbey The Fountains Abbey was opened in 1824 and quickly became a popular meeting place for locals.
Windsor Castle This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Little Venice

Little Venice is a picturesque area situated around the Regent's Canal in the Paddington area.

Known for its canals and moored boats, it is the home of many famous people. Much of the property in the area terraced mansions and town houses. Little Venice has two waterways: the Grand Union Canal and the Regent's Canal, which meet in a large, picturesque pool, Browning's Pool, which forms the focus of the area.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Bayswater Road
TUM image id: 1552860722
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Chilworth Street, W2
TUM image id: 1483806751
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Fountains Abbey (2020)
TUM image id: 1583775118
Licence: CC BY 2.0
Lisson Green
TUM image id: 1593182694
Licence: CC BY 2.0

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The 1807 Hyatt map
Credit: British Library
Licence: CC BY 2.0


A GWR 4073 Class locomotive waits to depart Paddington Station, adjacent to Brunel’s cast-iron Bishop’s Bridge road bridge, in April 1962.
Credit: Wiki Commons/Ben Brooksbank
Licence:


Fountains Abbey (2020)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Paddington Fire Station (c.1900)
Credit: London Metropolitan Archives
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy