Rouel Road, SE16

Road in/near Bermondsey, existing between 1867 and now

 HOME  ·  ARTICLE  ·  MAPS  ·  STREETS  BLOG 
(51.49571 -0.0699, 51.495 -0.069) 
MAP YEAR:175018001810182018301860190019502022Show map without markers
ZOOM:14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18 14 15 16 17 14 15 16 17 18
TIP: Adjust the MAP YEAR and ZOOM to tweak historical maps
Road · Bermondsey · SE16 ·
November
21
2020

Rouel Road once stood next to one of London’s first railway stations: Spa Road station in Bermondsey.

Most of the land around what became Rouel Road had been owned by John Rolls, 1st Baron Llangattock. Before any major construction took place, the area had been rural - small farms, market gardens and cottages. But Spa Road railway station, the original terminus of the London & Greenwich Railway, opened almost next to the future site of Rouel Road in 1836.

The name ’Rouel’ was approved in 1864, probably taken from Rouel Cottages. Houses were built in 1867. Much of the land and properties were managed by John Rolls’ agents. Lord & Lady Rolls were the last aristocratic landlords of Rouel Road.

Bermondsey was known for its work with leather and hides and as industrialisation began, leather tanning became predominant. One of two large tanneries was sited on the east side of Rouel Road - later the Liptons preservative factory was built on the site.

There were many food and provision factory in the vicinity. The blancmange manufacturers Pearce & Duff moved from Long Lane, Borough to the Spa Road corner of Rouel Road in 1890, formerly the site of glue makers - Young and Company. The Pearce & Duff factory closed after a fire in the 1960s.

Liptons were producing jam and preservatives from 1894 onwards and other small and medium-sized manufacturers were sited in adjacent side roads. Lucy Road had a metallic cask works and tin manufacturers, and off Dockley Road was a deep stamping works.

The Rouel Tavern was situated at number 70 and the road also had a large 1860s-built Congregational church which was later used as a synagogue.

The houses in Rouel Road – particularly those constructed to the northeast, before and after Lucy Road and Cadbury Road – were of a large and accommodating nature. Their design incorporated a large basement - the colloquial term was an ’airey’.




Main source: Wikipedia
Further citations and sources


Click here to go to a random London street
We now have 466 completed street histories and 47034 partial histories
Find streets or residential blocks within the M25 by clicking STREETS


CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE LOCALITY



The Underground Map   
Added: 20 Sep 2020 13:01 GMT   

Pepys starts diary
On 1 January 1659, Samuel Pepys started his famous daily diary and maintained it for ten years. The diary has become perhaps the most extensive source of information on this critical period of English history. Pepys never considered that his diary would be read by others. The original diary consisted of six volumes written in Shelton shorthand, which he had learned as an undergraduate on scholarship at Magdalene College, Cambridge. This shorthand was introduced in 1626, and was the same system Isaac Newton used when writing.

Reply
Comment
Tricia   
Added: 27 Apr 2021 12:05 GMT   

St George in the East Church
This Church was opened in 1729, designed by Hawksmore. Inside destroyed by incendrie bomb 16th April 1941. Rebuilt inside and finished in 1964. The building remained open most of the time in a temporary prefab.

Reply

Graham O’Connell   
Added: 10 Apr 2021 10:24 GMT   

Lloyd & Sons, Tin Box Manufacturers (1859 - 1982)
A Lloyd & Sons occupied the wharf (now known as Lloyds Wharf, Mill Street) from the mid 19th Century to the late 20th Century. Best known for making tin boxes they also produced a range of things from petrol canisters to collecting tins. They won a notorious libel case in 1915 when a local councillor criticised the working conditions which, in fairness, weren’t great. There was a major fire here in 1929 but the company survived at least until 1982 and probably a year or two after that.

Reply

fariba   
Added: 28 Jun 2021 00:48 GMT   

Tower Bridge Business Complex, S
need for my coursework

Source: university

Reply
Comment
The Underground Map   
Added: 8 Mar 2021 15:05 GMT   

A plague on all your houses
Aldgate station is built directly on top of a vast plague pit, where thousands of bodies are apparently buried. No-one knows quite how many.

Reply
Lived here
KJ   
Added: 11 Apr 2021 12:34 GMT   

Family
1900’s Cranmer family lived here at 105 (changed to 185 when road was re-numbered)
James Cranmer wife Louisa ( b.Logan)
They had 3 children one being my grandparent William (Bill) CRANMER married to grandmother “Nancy” He used to go to
Glengall Tavern in Bird in Bush Rd ,now been converted to flats.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 1 Sep 2021 16:58 GMT   

Prefabs!
The "post-war detached houses" mentioned in the description were "prefabs" - self-contained single-storey pre-fabricated dwellings. Demolition of houses on the part that became Senegal Fields was complete by 1964 or 1965.

Source: Prefabs in the United Kingdom - Wikipedia

Reply
Comment
Daryl   
Added: 5 Feb 2021 07:25 GMT   

Heron Court Pomeroy Street
Heron Court was built in 1999. There are twelve, one bedroom flats to the front of Heron Court and behind, which can’t be seen from the road, four, four bedroom houses. The properties are owned by Hexagon Housing Association with occupants of the flats being tenants that are cared for by Southwark Social Welfare for mental/health issues.

Reply

   
Added: 3 Jun 2021 15:50 GMT   

All Bar One
The capitalisation is wrong

Reply
LATEST LONDON-WIDE CONTRIBUTIONS TO THE PROJECT

Comment
Watts   
Added: 17 May 2022 20:29 GMT   

Baeethoven St School, also an Annex for Paddington College of FE.
In the early 70’s I took a two year science course at Paddington CFE. The science classes were held on weekday evenings at Beethoven Street school, overseen by chemistry teacher, Mr Tattershall.

Reply

   
Added: 25 Apr 2022 22:11 GMT   

Southover, N12
Everyone knows Central Woodside is the place to be. Ever since kdog moved from finchtown, Woodside has been thriving.

Reply
Born here
Bernard Miller   
Added: 12 Apr 2022 17:36 GMT   

My mother and her sister were born at 9 Windsor Terrace
My mother, Millie Haring (later Miller) and her sister Yetta Haring (later Freedman) were born here in 1922 and 1923. With their parents and older brother and sister, they lived in two rooms until they moved to Stoke Newington in 1929. She always said there were six rooms, six families, a shared sink on the first floor landing and a toilet in the backyard.

Reply

Brian Lynch   
Added: 10 Apr 2022 13:38 GMT   

Staples Mattress Factory
An architect’s design of the Staples Mattress Factory
An image found on the website of Dalzell’s Beds, in Armagh Northern Ireland.

Reply
Lived here
   
Added: 19 Feb 2022 16:21 GMT   

Harmondsworth (1939 - 1965)
I lived in a house (Lostwithiel) on the Bath Road opposite the junction with Tythe Barn Lane, now a hotel site. Initially, aircraft used one of the diagonal runways directly in line with our house. I attended Sipson Primary School opposite the Three Magpies and celebrated my 21st birthday at The Peggy Bedford in 1959.

Reply

Emma Seif   
Added: 25 Jan 2022 19:06 GMT   

Birth of the Bluestocking Society
In about 1750, Elizabeth Montagu began hosting literary breakfasts in her home at 23 (now 31) Hill Street. These are considered the first meetings of the Bluestocking society.

Reply
Comment
   
Added: 14 Jan 2022 03:06 GMT   

Goldbourne Gardens W 10
I lived in Goldbourne Gardens in the 50,s very happy big bomb site

Reply

Chris Nash   
Added: 10 Jan 2022 22:54 GMT   

Shortlands Close, DA17
Shortlands Close and the flats along it were constructed in the mid-1990s. Prior to this, the area was occupied by semi-detached houses with large gardens, which dated from the post-war period and were built on the site of Railway Farm. The farm and its buildings spanned the length of Abbey Road, on the south side of the North Kent Line railway tracks.

Reply

NEARBY LOCATIONS OF NOTE
Bermondsey The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine during the 8th century.
The Bermondsey mug https://the-underground-map.myshopify.com/products/bermondsey

NEARBY STREETS
Abbey Gardens, SE1 Abbey Gardens is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Abbey Gardens, SE16 Abbey Gardens is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Abbey Street, SE1 Abbey Street takes its name from Bermondsey Abbey which was situated between Bermondsey Square, Grange Walk and Long Walk.
Alexis Street, SE16 Alexis Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Alscot Road, SE1 Alscot Road runs around Bermondsey Spa Gardens.
Alscot Way, SE1 Alscot Way is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Ambrose Street, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Amina Way, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Apollo Business Park, SE16 Apollo Business Park is a location in London.
Arabella Street, SE16 Arabella Street runs off of Old Jamaica Road.
Arc House, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Arts Lane, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Attilburgh House, SE1 Residential block
Aulay House, SE16 Aulay House is a block on Spa Road.
Bacon Grove, SE1 Bacon Grove is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Bakery Street, SE1 A street within the SE16 postcode
Ben Smith Way, SE16 Ben Smith Way follows the line of the former longer northern section of Stork’s Road.
Bevington Street, SE16 Bevington Street was named after Samuel Bourne Bevington, the first mayor in 1900 of the new Bermondsey Borough Council.
Blue Anchor Lane, SE16 Blue Anchor Lane is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Bombay Street, SE16 Bombay Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Bridewain Street, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Buttermere Close, SE1 Buttermere Close is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Cadbury Way, SE16 Cadbury Way is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Clemence Road, SE16 Clemence Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Clement, SE16 Clement is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Clements Road, SE16 Clements Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Clements, SE16 Clements is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Collett Road, SE16 Collett Road is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Curtis Street, SE1 Curtis Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Curtis Way, SE1 Curtis Way is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Dairy Apartments, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Dartle Court, SE16 Dartle Court is a location in London.
Dhonau House, SE1 Dhonau House is a block on the Longfield Estate.
Dockley Road, SE16 Dockley Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Drappers Way, SE16 Drappers Way is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Dunlop Place, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Emba Street, SE16 Emba Street runs west from Wilson Grove.
Enid Street, SE16 Enid Street has been radically altered since the Second World War.
Frean Street, SE16 Frean Street runs up to the South Eastern main line railway in Bermondsey.
Freda Street, SE16 Freda Street runs off of Marine Street.
Gedling Place, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Gillison Walk, SE16 Gillison Walk is a location in London.
Goodwin Close, SE16 Goodwin Close is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Grange Road, SE1 Grange Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Grange Walk, SE1 Grange Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Grange Walk, SE16 Grange Walk is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Grange Yard, SE1 Grange Yard is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Haven Way, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
Hazel Way, SE1 Hazel Way is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Henley Drive, SE1 Henley Drive is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Henley Drive, SE16 Henley Drive is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Jamaica Road, SE1 The SE1 section of Jamaica Road dates only from the 1960s.
Jamaica Road, SE16 Jamaica Road was named after a house which sold limes, oranges and rum.
Janeway Street, SE16 Janeway Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
John Roll Way, SE16 John Roll Way is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Keetons Road, SE16 Keetons Road is a location in London.
Kimmins Court, SE16 Kimmins Court is a block in Arabella Street.
Kintore Way, SE1 Kintore Way is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Limasol Street, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Linsey Street, SE16 Linsey Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Llewellyn Street, SE16 Llewellyn Street is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Longley Street, SE1 Longley Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Lucey Road, SE16 Lucey Road is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Lucey Way, SE16 Lucey Way is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Macks Road, SE16 Macks Road runs north from Southwark Park Road.
Major Road, SE16 Major Road is actually quite a minor road near to Bermondsey station.
Maltby Street, SE1 Maltby Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Maria Close, SE16 Maria Close is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Maria Close, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode
Marigold Street, SE16 Marigold Street is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Marine Street, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Market Place, SE16 Market Place is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Matilda Place, SE16 Matilda Place is shown on maps between the 1810s and 1900s.
Mill Stream Road, SE1 Mill Stream Road (or Millstream Road) was demolished to make way for the Arnold Estate.
Neckinger Estate, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Neckinger Mills, SE1 Neckinger Mills is a location in London.
Neckinger Place, SE1 Neckinger Place was a small turning off Druid Street.
Neckinger Street, SE1 Neckinger Street is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Neckinger, SE16 Neckinger is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Old Abbey Lane, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Old Jamaica Road Business Estate, SE16 Old Jamaica Road Business Estate is a commercial estate.
Old Jamaica Road, SE16 Old Jamaica Road originated as Prospect Row in the late eighteenth century.
O’Reilly Street, SE1 O’Reilly Street runs off Willow Walk.
Painters Mews, SE16 Painters Mews runs off Mack Road.
Parker Building, SE16 The Parker Building lies on Freda Street.
Perryn Road, SE16 Perryn Road is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Pickwick House, SE16 Residential block
Priter Road, SE16 Priter Road is a location in London.
Riley Road, SE1 Riley Road is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Rock Grove Way, SE16 Rock Grove Way is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Rope Walk, SE1 Rope Walk is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Scott Lidgett Crescent, SE16 Scott Lidgett Crescent is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Setchell Road, SE1 The 1978 Setchell Road development was designed by Neylan and Ungless.
Setchell Way, SE1 Setchell Way is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Southwark Park Road, SE16 Southwark Park Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Spa Business Park, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Spa Road, SE16 A train left Deptford railway station for Spa Road station at 8am on 8 February 1836 - it was the first train in London.
St Saviours Estate, SE1 A street within the SE1 postcode
St. James’s Road, SE16 St. James’s Road is a long Bermondsey street running south from Jamaica Road.
Stanworth Street, SE1 Stanworth Street is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Stork’s Road, SE16 Stork’s Road once extended much farther north - as far as Jamaica Road.
Sun Passage, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
Sweeney Crescent, SE1 Sweeney Crescent is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Swift Court, SE1 Swift Court is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
The Biscuit Factory, SE16 The Biscuit Factory is a Bermondsey development.
The Globe Rope Walk, SE1 The Globe Rope Walk is a road in the E14 postcode area
The Grange, SE1 The Grange is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Thetford House, SE1 Residential block
Thurland Road, SE16 Thurland Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Thurland Street, SE16 Thurland Street is a location in London.
Toussaint Walk, SE16 Toussaint Walk is a walkway along a former part of Stork’s Road.
Tower Bridge Business Centre, SE16 Tower Bridge Business Centre is a location in London.
Tower Business Centre, SE16 Tower Business Centre is a location in London.
Tower Workshops, SE1 Tower Workshops is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Tranton Road, SE16 Tranton Road is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Trothy Road, SE16 Trothy Road is a road in the SE1 postcode area
Vauban Estate, SE16 Vauban Estate is a location in London.
Vauban Street, SE16 Vauban Street is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Wade House, SE1 Residential block
Wade House, SE1 Wade House is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Waterside Close, SE16 Waterside Close is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Webster Road, SE16 Webster Road is a road in the SE16 postcode area
Weightman House, SE16 A street within the SE16 postcode
William Ellis Way, SE16 William Ellis Way is a location in London.
Willow Walk, SE1 Willow Walk is one of the streets of London in the SE1 postal area.
Wilson Grove, SE16 Wilson Grove was a renaming of Salisbury Street..
Windmill Close, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode
Woodmill Close, SE16 Woodmill Close is a road in the SW15 postcode area
Woodmill Street, SE16 A street within the SE1 postcode
Woolstaplers Way, SE16 Woolstaplers Way is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.
Yalding Road, SE16 Yalding Road is one of the streets of London in the SE16 postal area.

NEARBY PUBS
Brew by numbers This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Claremont arms public house This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
Queen victoria This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
St james of bermondsey This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The blue anchor p h This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The grange This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.
The gregorian This pub existed immediately prior to the 2020 global pandemic and may still do so.


Bermondsey

The name Bermondsey first appears in a letter from Pope Constantine during the 8th century.

Pope Constantine (708-715), in a letter, granted privileges to a monastery at Vermundesei, then in the hands of the abbot of Medeshamstede (as Peterborough was known at the time).

Though Bermondsey’s name may derive from Beornmund’s island (whoever the Anglo-Saxon Beornmund was, is another matter), but Bermondsey is likely to have been a higher, drier spot in an otherwise marshy area, rather than a real island.

Bermondsey appears in the Domesday Book and it was then held by King William (the Conqueror). A small part of the area was in the hands of Robert, Count of Mortain - William’s half brother.

Bermondsey Abbey was founded in 1082 as a Cluniac priory, with St Saviour as the patron.

The monks from the abbey began to develop the area, cultivating land and embanking the river. They put a dock at the mouth of River Neckinger, an adjacent tidal inlet. Records show this was called St Savior’s Dock, after their abbey.

Also owning land here was the Knights Templar. They gave a names to one of the most distinctive streets in London - Shad Thames, a later corruption of ’St John at Thames’.

Other ecclesiastical properties stood nearby. The name ’Tooley Street’ was another corruption - this time of St Olave’s’ Street. It was located in the Archbishop of Canterbury’s manor of Southwark. In Tooley Street, wealthy citizens and clerics built houses.

After the Great Fire of London, Bermondsey started to be settled by the well-to-do. It took on the character of a garden suburb - especially along Grange Road.

A pleasure garden - the Cherry Garden - was founded in the area in the 17th century near to the current Cherry Garden Pier. In 1664, Samuel Pepys visited ’Jamaica House’ in the gardens and wrote in his diary that he had left it "singing finely". Later, from the garden, J.M.W. Turner painted The Fighting Temeraire Tugged to her Last Berth to be Broken Up (1839), showing the veteran warship being towed to Rotherhithe to be scrapped.

The church of St Mary Magdalen in Bermondsey Street was completed in 1690, although a church has been recorded on the site since the 13th century. This church survived both 19th-century redevelopment and the Blitz unscathed. It is an unusual survivor of this period in Bermondsey and in Inner London in general.

In the 18th century, the discovery of a spring from the River Neckinger in the area led to Bermondsey becoming a spa resort - then all the rage. The name Spa Road commemorates this - situated between Grange Road and Jamaica Road.

Bermondsey’s fortunes took a huge nosedive as the Industrial Revolution took hold. Certain industries were deemed too inconvenient to be carried on within the small area of the City of London and banished east - both north and south of the river. One such that came to dominate central Bermondsey was the processing of leather and hides.

Parts of Bermondsey, especially along the riverside, become a notorious slum. The area around St Saviour’s Dock and Shad Thames - known as Jacob’s Island - was one of the worst in London. In Charles Dickens’s novel Oliver Twist, the principal villain Bill Sikes meets a nasty end in the mud of ’Folly Ditch’ an area which was known as Hickmans Folly — the scene of an attack by Spring Heeled Jack in 1845 — surrounding Jacob’s Island. Dickens provides a vivid description of what it was like:

<CITE>... crazy wooden galleries common to the backs of half a dozen houses, with holes from which to look upon the slime beneath; windows, broken and patched, with poles thrust out, on which to dry the linen that is never there; rooms so small, so filthy, so confined, that the air would seem to be too tainted even for the dirt and squalor which they shelter; wooden chambers thrusting themselves out above the mud and threatening to fall into it — as some have done; dirt-besmeared walls and decaying foundations, every repulsive lineament of poverty, every loathsome indication of filth, rot, and garbage: all these ornament the banks of Jacob’s Island.</CITE>

In 1836, London’s first passenger railway terminus was built by the London & Greenwich Railway at London Bridge. The first section of the line to be used was between the Spa Road Station and Deptford High Street. But Spa Road station closed in 1915.

The area was extensively redeveloped during the 19th century and early 20th century with both the expansion of the river trade and the connectivity that the railway brought about. Bermondsey Town Hall - a mark of its civic emergence - was built on Spa Road in 1881. To the east of Tower Bridge, Bermondsey’s three and a half miles of riverside were lined with warehouses and wharves, of which the best known is Butler’s Wharf.

Many buildings from this era survive (around Leathermarket Street) including the huge Leather, Hide and Wool Exchange (now residential and small work spaces). Hepburn and Gale’s tannery, though now disused, on Long Lane is also a substantial survivor of the leather trade.

Peek, Frean and Company was established in 1857 at Dockhead by James Peek and George Hender Frean. They moved to a larger plant in Clements Road in 1866, leading to the nickname ’Biscuit Town’ for Bermondsey. They continued baking here until the brand was discontinued in 1989.

Wee Willie Harris - usually credited as the first British rock and roller - came from Bermondsey. He also worked in Peak Freans before his fame.

Bermondsey’s riverside suffered severe damage in Second World War bombing. A couple of decades later, the wharves became redundant following the collapse of the river trade. After standing derelict, many of the wharves were redeveloped by the London Docklands Development Corporation during the 1980s. They have now been converted into a mixture of residential and commercial accommodations and have become some of the most upmarket and expensive properties in London.

In 1910, Millwall F.C. had moved to a new stadium on Coldblow Lane, having previously played in Millwall on the Isle of Dogs. They kept their original name despite playing on the opposite side of the River Thames to the Millwall area. They played at The Den until 1993, when they relocated to the New Den nearby. The New Den is now back to being called The Den.

In 2000, Bermondsey tube station on the Jubilee Line Extension opened.


LOCAL PHOTOS
Click here to see map view of nearby Creative Commons images
Click here to see Creative Commons images near to this postcode
Click here to see Creative Commons images tagged with this road (if applicable)

In the neighbourhood...

Click an image below for a better view...
The building with the canopy is Bridge House, George Row, Bermondsey, in 1926.
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Folly Ditch, Jacob’s Island in the 19th century. Jacob’s Island was a notorious Bermondsey slum, cleared in the 1860s.
Credit: Old and New London (published 1873)
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Enid Street, SE16 looking from Rouel Road (1938) The houses had railway arches just outside their back doors. The original Lion pub can just be seen on the right corner and at the far end on the same side was The Windsor Castle. Both pubs survived the pre and post war slum clearance of the houses by Bermondsey Borough Council. The Lion was replaced in 1961 on the corner of Spa Road but The Windsor was demolished c.1965 and never rebuilt. The same view nowadays would include high modern apartments to the left.
Licence:


Jamaica Road (1900s) Despite being a road of eighteenth century origin, the western end of Jamaica Road, Bermondsey on;y dates from the 1960s.
Old London postcard
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Tram travelling along Jamaica Road (1912) This section of Jamaica Road was completely swept away when the road was realigned during the 1960s.
Old London postcard
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Old Jamaica Road, SE16 (2012) Part of the Bermondsey Spa development, the curved building in this view includes a health centre. Bermondsey Spa is a major housing development in the area between the London-Greenwich Railway line and Jamaica Road, in the early years of the 21st century. The terraced housing that occupied most of the site was cleared by the 1950s.
Credit: Geograph/Stephen Craven
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Parker’s Row, SE1 on 19 May 1956
Credit: Serge Lansac/Picture Post/Hulton Archive
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Spa Road station was one of the first of London’s railway stations, built by the London & Greenwich Railway (later the South Eastern and Chatham railway) in 1836. Photo dates from around 1900.
Licence: CC BY 2.0


The "Ha’penny Bumper" (tram) pictured on St James’s Road, SE1
Old London postcard
Licence:


Wilson Grove, SE16 Wilson Grove includes a mini ’garden city’ with houses built in 1928 by Culpin & Bowers.
Credit: Geograph/Stephen Richards
Licence: CC BY 2.0


Print-friendly version of this page

  Contact us · Copyright policy · Privacy policy